Shep69

Hood Hinge

Who makes a decent hood hinge for the 69?  My LHS hood is about a quarter to high and its been adjusted all the way down. I don't want to have to push the rear hood down all the time.  Are 67 hinges the same as Ive seen a lot of places advertise the hinges are made for 67-70.  Just sick of buying repco rubbish. 

Thanks Mark

1 hour ago, Shep69 said:

Who makes a decent hood hinge for the 69?  My LHS hood is about a quarter to high and its been adjusted all the way down. I don't want to have to push the rear hood down all the time.  Are 67 hinges the same as Ive seen a lot of places advertise the hinges are made for 67-70.  Just sick of buying repco rubbish. 

Thanks Mark

I Mark,

I have the exact same problem. I am intending on elongating the holes a little. It's on my long to do list.

35 minutes ago, bigmal said:

I Mark,

I have the exact same problem. I am intending on elongating the holes a little. It's on my long to do list.

aaagghhh  the old long to do list. That list is ongoing forever lol. Theres always that one thing .

3 hours ago, Shep69 said:

Who makes a decent hood hinge for the 69?  

nobody. i typically buy good used ones or nos ones. it's just one of the many pleasures of owning a vintage car.

heres a couple

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1967-70-Mustang-Left-Hood-Hinge-C9ZZ-16797-A/162903146490?epid=1255153693&hash=item25edc8bffa:g:av8AAOSw5ZtahZ8k&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1967-70-Mustang-Left-Hood-Hinge-C9ZZ-16797-A-/122642004178

On 2/21/2018 at 7:28 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

Mach, do you know if those hinges are the same as the Dynacorn hinges offered by CJ Pony Parts?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-hood-hinge-premium-quality-passenger-side-1967-1970/p/HDH14R/

Thanks,

John 

1 hour ago, nymustang1969 said:

I had my originals rebuild at SMS Auto restoration in New Hampshire.  Did a fantastic job. He makes his own oversize rivets with the correct x pattern. Very satisfied. His website is sms-auto.com.

how much did that cost?

I fussed and fussed with the stock hinges to get the alignment right but they never worked and I accepted that they were shot and sloppy. I installed the Dynacorn hinges from CJP. They fixed my alignment issues and looked original however the spring they use isn't strong as it should be so the hood doesn't stay opened as far as it should. It does stay open but it's low enough to really put a good bash on your forehead.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, Machspeed said:

Mach, do you know if those hinges are the same as the Dynacorn hinges offered by CJ Pony Parts?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-hood-hinge-premium-quality-passenger-side-1967-1970/p/HDH14R/

Thanks,

John 

They look like Dynacorn, but I couldn't be sure so I got them from WCCC because of their description:

Improved reproduction right and left hand hood hinges for the Mercury Cougar and Ford Mustang. Much heavier duty compared to the originals, thicker metal and slightly wider hinge bars. These hinges weigh 4.35 lbs, originals weigh 3.2 lbs. Hood hinge rivets have the 'plus' markings like seen on the 1969-70 hinges. Save your hinge springs, these do not come with the new springs. it will be easier to fit and adjust these hinges prior to installing the springs on them. We use an old section of seat belt for removing and installing hood hinge springs. If you only need one, we sell these individually as well. Here is a helpful youtube video that will shoe you how to adjust your hood.

BTW, that's 36% beefier than production hinges