bryonbush

Might have to pull the heads

On 2/22/2018 at 12:10 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

Do those aftermarket EFI systems have any diagnosis like the OEM's.  Where you can read inputs and outputs from sensors, actuators, in real time?

It might be worth just replacing the O2 sensor.  Fortunately, it's not on the side that has a wet spark plug.  How old is it?  O2 sensors do "wear out" and need replacing once in a while.  I'd check the engine vacuum as well.  Low vacuum will cause these types of EFI systems to run rich.

With both EFI and MSD ignition, I'd think those spark plugs should look almost new.

Honestly there's a lot that can be done with this efi tuning but I don't dig too much into it as I don't want to mess tji ngs up I've read that o2 sensors are prone to failure quicker in aftermarket settings for some reason so it wouldn't surprise me if I did foul it out. 

5 hours ago, ray1970 said:

With the fitech you can restart the learn thing..My help?

My unit got to the point where I had to hold the throttle to start it (not right for efi)

That was on ECU no.2

Whating for its return for ECU no.3  (ECU has been  back ordered for over a month )  Black screen syndrome

I have low vac.11-12 at best   WHEN the efi works it works very well..

My cold start sucks and I'm in the same boat as you having to hold open the throttle. I'm going to tinker with some more settings and drive it around a little today and see how the plugs look. If all else fails I'll have a new set of plugs in next week were I can start off fresh 

The engines these aftermarket EFI systems are on typically run richer than factory stock engines.  More aggressive cams will also dump more unburned fuel into the exhaust stream.  So, it makes sense that O2 sensors on these aftermarket systems might not don't last very long.  

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, ray1970 said:

When the efi was working right I could just reach into the side window to start it no matter how hot or cold..

if I cant do that mite as well have a carborater...... I currently do.

im with ya. but I will say that my holley was pretty dialed in and it still doesn't hold a candle to how the efi preforms. It's getting better with some more tuning but im not a computer guy at all so I don't like to mess with something that im not too familiar with.

on a side note I adjusted the AFR ratios this weekend and it seemed to knock out a lot of the smoke I was seeing. I didn't get a chance to pull the plugs but I did notice that when I rev it up its clearly the distinct smell of oil. ill see if I can gets some plugs out and see what has changed.