Machspeed

69 Mach 1 Stripe Application

I've not seen the article, but have applied a 69 Mach 1 stripe kit in the past. Lots of measuring, taping and hoping I got it on right back in the day. For my 69 Shelby stripes, I saw this and though it sounds like an easier way to make sure you get them on right. 

962-1.jpg

Mustang Application Gel, Decal / Stripe, Slide On, Allows Movement Of Decals Or Stripes On Body W/O Sticking Until Ready To Set, 16 Fl. Oz. Squeeze Bottle

I'll give it a try in a couple of months and let everyone know how it worked.

I just had a quick look at the photos on the article and it appears that he’s put the side stripes on wrong . They shouldn’t be straight from the rear quarter marker light. I’ve just put mine on and from the research I’ve done they arc down at the back and then follow the body panel . 

I followed the old mustang monthly article . 

13 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I just had a quick look at the photos on the article and it appears that he’s put the side stripes on wrong . They shouldn’t be straight from the rear quarter marker light. I’ve just put mine on and from the research I’ve done they arc down at the back and then follow the body panel . 

I followed the old mustang monthly article . 

Good catch, Shep! Can you post a link to that old Mustang Monthly article? Before my car goes off to the media blaster, I'll be taking a lot of pic and measurements. 

Perfect timing.  Waiting for spring to put stripes on mine.  Paint was done last year.  Getting ready for the final touches.  

Great article I would never have suspected the rear strip sloped downward.

2 hours ago, ralt962 said:

Perfect timing.  Waiting for spring to put stripes on mine.  Paint was done last year.  Getting ready for the final touches.  

Great article I would never have suspected the rear strip sloped downward.

Going off the MM article is was pretty easy. Measure between the top and bottom door crease lines. Half that and thats the top of the stripe between the tires. Then place the rear one so its centred around the marker light and we ran a line from the top of the rear stripe to the top of the stripe on the front quarter.  The stripes are tapered from front to back so they can only go on one way.  The sides went on  easy . The back stripes are tricky though.

On 2/16/2018 at 3:18 PM, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

I've not seen the article, but have applied a 69 Mach 1 stripe kit in the past. Lots of measuring, taping and hoping I got it on right back in the day. For my 69 Shelby stripes, I saw this and though it sounds like an easier way to make sure you get them on right. 

Mustang Application Gel, Decal / Stripe, Slide On, Allows Movement Of Decals Or Stripes On Body W/O Sticking Until Ready To Set, 16 Fl. Oz. Squeeze Bottle

a 16 oz spray bottle with a little liquid dish washing soap mixed in works fine. that gel can sometimes be difficult to work with. many of the pros install them dry.

On 2/19/2018 at 11:59 PM, Shep69 said:

Going off the MM article is was pretty easy. Measure between the top and bottom door crease lines. Half that and thats the top of the stripe between the tires. Then place the rear one so its centred around the marker light and we ran a line from the top of the rear stripe to the top of the stripe on the front quarter.  The stripes are tapered from front to back so they can only go on one way.  The sides went on  easy . The back stripes are tricky though.

Thank you,  Looking forward to jumping into this.  Good tips on making this look good.  For us summer is coming.

15 hours ago, MAC390 said:

Put my stripes on this morning

P1010364.JPG

Mate, when we catch up I need to compare your stripes to mine. I want to do some work on the doors and repaint them. It would be great if I could match the stripes without having to replace the lot.

1 hour ago, ralt962 said:

Anyone purchase stripes from NPD?  Wondering if those are Express like the ones from CJs.  

I’m not sure what NPD sells but I know to stay away from the mustang market ones. I couldn’t even use their rubbish. 

I purchased another set direct from Graphics Express. They are great stripes . Plenty of length to fold around the guards unlike the MM ones. The white lettering is laid over the top just like the originals. I did have a few tiny air bubbles but the instructions says leave them alone and don’t be impatient to remove them. 

The bubbles in my stripes disappeared after a few days . I payed a pin striper guy to install mine . He didn’t use any detergent, just fitted them dry. He made it look easy. 

Great stripe Kit .

650C6A2A-178C-471E-8AE2-D62B2D6224B9.jpeg