Sign in to follow this  
edwards54

Grant steering wheel

I have a new to me 69 fastback that came with some issues.  It came with a Grant steering wheel (identical to the ones sold at CJ ponyparts) The horn does not work and the turn signals do not cancel after making turns.  Is this common in Grant steering wheels or was something not installed correctly?  I will take it off and look to see what the issues are but I thought I would start here.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob, I had a similar issue last summer with my recently purchased 70FB. There are lots of vehicle specific installation kits for the Grant wheels.  The PO of my car used the wrong kit and made it fit with a grinder and hacksaw.  I ordered the correct kit from Amazon, I think a #3249 and eventually got everything working properly.  You can lookup the kit number at www.grantproducts.com.  Also, the installation depends on which horn button you use, the deep dish mustang button or the shallow grant button that comes with the wheel.  Lastly, check the horn fuse and horn itself.  As for the turn signal cancellation, could be the switch or missing parts.  I think my setup had the "one wire" wiring. 

I'd pull the steering wheel and hub off to get a better look at things - remove the horn fuse before removing the wheel.  If I remember correctly the Grant hub needed a three bolt puller, not a standard two bolt.  Also, depending on the horn button, the Grant instructions have you grinding or cutting a portion of the steering column for proper fit.  I did not need to do that.

Hopefully once you get wheel and hub off you won't find a hack job under there.   Good luck, Tom

I used to have a Grant wheel, and will never use one again. The horn mechanisms are poorly designed and are not durable. Too bad because the wheels themselves I like. I had the one that came with the wheel/adapter. 

The turn signal problem is most likely the turn signal switch. I have also had bad luck with the replacements available. Right now my horn goes off spontaneously and I've tried everything to fix it short of replacing the switch (again). I'm tempted to run my own horn switch or an externally wired one with a spiral wound wire. When my switch was new the cancellation part stopped working within days. Frustrating.