TomM

Sport Mirror Upgrade - Remote Bezel Location 1970 FB

I recently installed sport mirrors on my 1970 FB with standard door panels - previously did not have a remote mirror.  The new TMI door panels did not have perforations for the bezel.  My inner door skin shows three possible locations, two circular holes and one oblong hole.  One circular hole does not interfere with the window crank but could be a knuckle buster.  The other circular hole is slightly forward of the window crank - from internet photos it appears the remote should be slightly behind the crank.  Is the oblong hole the correct location, and if so, where in that hole is the correct location.  Thanks, Tom

Somewhat Mach1 Driver.  That confirms my thought that it should go in the oblong hole on the left.  Just eyeballing it, I could probably put it in the lower right corner and be fine.  My bezel will be circular with the adjustment knob coming out of the page.  Thanks for the pic!  Tom

Mirror.thumb.JPG.71463f79ca110132d46cf141d0e6d3d1.JPG

Tom, as far as know, 69 control is a little different from 70. 69 has the rectangular bezel with a nut and  knob is straight, 70 is nut is round without a bezel and the knob is 90 degrees. If you do not have the mirror with right knob and bezel, the cables may bend making control stiff and may hit your window.

Thanks Super Stanger, I think you are right.  My mirror has the 90deg knob, on a standard interior door panel.  I have the correct mirror, control and bezel for a 70, just need to determine which hole in the inner door skin to use.  Some pics I've seen of a 70 appear to show the mirror bezel slightly to the rear of the window crank, much like Mach1 Driver's pic.  So I'm leaning towards using the bottom right corner of that oblong cutout.  I'll do a dry fit with a helper to see if the window operates properly without interference.  Thanks for the input.  Tom

I think I have an original 70 Cougar door panel with remote mirror hole. Cougar door panel resembles the Mustang standard door panel. Do you want a picture of that door panel with measurement of the hole from the front edge of the panel?

Great pics Aslanefe.  That puts it about an inch further to the rear than what I was thinking, but with that extra inch is still shouldn't interfere with the regulator.  Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.  Looks like I'll be cutting the door panel this weekend!

Thanks, Tom

One more thing, as far as I remember, the cables from the mirror go towards the front of the door and pass through a cable holder screwed somewhere by the top hinge of the door and come back to the door panel. This way the cables do not interfere with window movement when it is rolled up or down.

I have a 69 Mach 1 door panel that I can take a picture if it would help.  I believe 69 changed styles of the adjusting knob orientation in February builds in 69.  The cable and bezel are different.

I'll pull out my old door and take a shot of it. 

Hi Ralt962, I cut the adjusting knob hole last weekend.  My 70 is a different knob, but I don't know if the hole goes in the same location as the 69. If it's not out of your way, a pic of your panel would be a good sanity check - hopefully I got it close.  Thanks, Tom