bluoval

Retrofitting manual rack and pinion

Hey Everybody!

I'm wanting to swap out old power steering for rack and pinion - manual.  Cruizing around on the interweb and saw a posting on 'our' site here that looked promising, but the page is not accessible.   I know there are a few posts about this topic, but I thought I would try a new post to get updated info.  Here is a copy of the link

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjypsHEpZnQAhUHVyYKHQ2CDqsQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1969stang.com%2Farticles%2Frack.html&usg=AFQjCNGosLNAI2MNp-nZd246vy-2qlcKqA&sig2=U2HlXvBFzSjrcrBPqYsR8w&bvm=bv.137904068,d.eWE

I have heard people talking about using PS rack converted to manual from a Cavalier.  

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Blessings,

dr

Edited by bluoval
added small detail

Hey Reaper69,  Thanks for the info!  I have been looking over the different vendors and I think it makes more sense to get a new set up that is basically a bolt in project vs. trying to retro fit a unit from a Cavalier!  I don't know that I need steroids though, I'm already in pretty decent shape! ;)

I went with the power rack by Unisteer.  It was the single best improvement I have ever done to the car in terms of making it more more fun to cruise around in.  Very easy to install too.  Only a little grinding.

Some will be quick to let you know that the rack will reduce your turning radius but I'm here to tell you that it still turns a lot sharper than my new F150!  Now that thing is annoying in parking lots. 

Kyle T

Thanks for the input.  I was looking at the TCP setup.  I like the fact that its pretty stout and serves as a replacement for the cross member.  I have a 7 qt Moroso oil pan, do you know if there are any setups that definitely won't work with that?  I may also have some clearance issues after lowering the front end.