Shep69

Not A Build Thread But A Tribute.

A few guys on this forum have asked if iI have a build thread. I never thought about doing one but I thought as im going to be laid up for a while due to having back surgery I might put something together. My mustang is waiting to be driven but the Docs said i can't drive for a few weeks. 

I purchased my mustang 10 yrs ago from a guy in Grants Pass , Oregon. I still talk to the guy that I purchased it from and I even met him in person when my family and I went on holidays to the US. 

When I finally laid eyes on the car I found that it had some major issues. It was  obvious that it had been rear ended at some time and the repairs were average to say the least. It had half of the RHS quarter replaced and the roof line was pushed up. The back of the car was about 3/4 inch out. 

I did pay for an inspection to be done before purchasing. The only thing that the inspection said was that the quarter panel had been  replaced and it didn't line up around the wheel arch that well. 

The first few photos are from when i first picked up the car and transported it home. I lived in the Pilbara region in outback Western Australia. Its a remote mining town . The town has a population of about 2000 . The Trip from Fremantle back home was about 1500 Kms.

2.1.JPG

1.JPG

2.5.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

Pretty much as soon as I found out about the damage I had to come to terms with starting the rebuild. I had no intensions to do a resto but was pretty much forced into it . I didn't have a shed but I did have an undercover area out the back of the house that I could work.

I decided to start from the front and work back so the first thing was to pull the guards off and pull the motor and trans. 

7.jpg

8.JPG

Lots of corrosion under the battery tray as well as some damage up front so that will need changing out. The parts list is growing by the day at this stage. Even though parts are easy to get in Australia it sometimes takes time to get here. Large parts that come by sea can take up to 14 weeks so you need to have a good plan moving forward . 

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Theres so much damage down the back end it all needs to be replaced . Cracked rails and patched up lower panel area. Quality work NOT!!!! Even though the RHS quarter needs changing that would have to wait until I move back to Perth. 

31.JPG

32.JPG

35.JPG

Nice inspection that fella did for you. Hope he didn't have to bend over. My car had some issues but I was told about them by the cute seller. Get well and do what they tell you to rehab that back.

1 hour ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Wow, sorry to see so much damage. I understand how a simple repair project can turn into a major undertaking. Hope all goes well for you and your back.

Thanks 69ShelbyGT350H.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Nice inspection that fella did for you. Hope he didn't have to bend over. My car had some issues but I was told about them by the cute seller. Get well and do what they tell you to rehab that back.

Maybe the inspection guy had back issues as well lol. Bob your starting to sound like my wife Ha Ha . 

3 minutes ago, MAC390 said:

Good luck with the back issues, i know what's it like , my back is stuffed.

3 minutes ago, MAC390 said:

Good luck with the back issues, i know what's it like , my back is stuffed.

Yeah its not good Mac . Second operation in 3 yrs. Its sucks getting old.  

1 minute ago, MAC390 said:

You gotta love these cars to do what we do.

Yep . My wife always says my second wife lives in the shed. She says i spend more time with the mustang than i do with her.  At least the mustang won't nag at me lol.  

More parts rock up .  I don't know why I looked so happy to get my parts. I was smiling until i saw the state of the NPD rails. What a joke . Back then thats all that were available. I had to do a fair bit of work to the rails  to make them half decent. Hopefully now days you can get one piece rails . These were made up from 3 pieces and the welding is shocking. 

I think these parts have traveled around the world. Made in Taiwan sent to the US and then Down Under to Australia.

52.JPG

53.JPG

Wow , the guy who inspected the car for you got money for nothing.

They photo shopped the left underside of my car and sent me the pics saying it was not bad.

My wife says that my second home is the garage

4 minutes ago, MAC390 said:

Wow , the guy who inspected the car for you got money for nothing.

They photo shopped the left underside of my car and sent me the pics saying it was not bad.

My wife says that my second home is the garage

Yes its pretty hard to trust someone half way around the world Mac. Photo shopping Wow. Now that takes it to a whole new level of shit. 

When I was looking at an 56 F100 to buy I used a pretty good company to check it out . Cost me about $350 and they sent heaps of photos and a very good mechanical report. I didn't end up buying that one as there was too much wrong with it. Best $350 I've ever spent.