bigmal

Asbestos Warning - Underbody Deadener

There are some very sad stories here. My heart brakes for everyone who has lost loved ones. It's made even worse that this was known about and they continued to use it and some countries still do.

If any good comes from this it will raise a little awareness of the prolific use of asbestos and the care needed when working around it.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:40 PM, moodster said:

My father was one of those who died from asbestos exposure in the shipyard.  He lived about 16 months after his diagnosis.  He kept huge posters of all the ships and submarines he had worked on in a hall closet when I was growing up.  As a child I would occasionally sneak them out and look at them.  My understanding is that it was everywhere on the ships - walls, pipes, etc wrapped in sheets of asbestos.  

My dad died in 2003 from Mesothelioma we received the diagnosis 1 day after he went into a coma dying 3 days later. 

We never knew what the source was as he was exposed to many products containing asbestos. Our attorneys had us identify over 50 products he had come into contact with. Asbestos is still being used in Commercial Buildings in the USA.

My 91 yr old mom was hospitalized a couple weeks ago with symptoms of mesothelioma she doesn't want a biopsy done at her age she doesn't want to know after caring for my dad for over a year. Tens of thousands wives have also contracted it from washing their husbands work clothes.

ONE BIG item on a Mustang of the 60-70's era to NEVER grind on or file is the heater box it can contain upto 50% asbestos. Buy a new box the repops do not contain asbestos.

Also spray down with water any carpeting of that era or have it tested.

9 hours ago, Bob & Sue said:

My dad died in 2003 from Mesothelioma we received the diagnosis 1 day after he went into a coma dying 3 days later. 

We never knew what the source was as he was exposed to many products containing asbestos. Our attorneys had us identify over 50 products he had come into contact with. Asbestos is still being used in Commercial Buildings in the USA.

My 91 yr old mom was hospitalized a couple weeks ago with symptoms of mesothelioma she doesn't want a biopsy done at her age she doesn't want to know after caring for my dad for over a year. Tens of thousands wives have also contracted it from washing their husbands work clothes.

ONE BIG item on a Mustang of the 60-70's era to NEVER grind on or file is the heater box it can contain upto 50% asbestos. Buy a new box the repops do not contain asbestos.

Also spray down with water any carpeting of that era or have it tested.

Very sad to here. Sorry mate.

I wish I'd known about the heater box. I did substantial cutting and grinding when converting mine for the other side. If I recall corrctly I used a mask as I would with any fibreglass although I did not take the same precautions I would have if I new of the asbestos risk. Had I realiased I would haqve just replaced it with an aftermarket unit.

Just a heads up yesterday I needed to change to a finer grit wheel on my bench grinder I have a box of wheels that came from my dad after he died. The 1st one I pulled out was a brand new Norton wheel at least 35 yrs old after going thru the box I found 2 more Norton wheels. Norton is one of the companies we sued they contain a high content of asbestos. I was sure I had disposed of them in 2004 along with all the other items we found in my dad's workroom like Bondex joint compound, kiln bricks just to mention a few. Most older 35-40 yr old grinding contain asbestos.

If you have any old grinding wheels get rid of them properly, I sprayed the whole box down with water inside & out then double wrapped it with garbage bags then wrapped it with duct tape. Monday or Tuesday it will be picked up by the states hazardous material division.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:39 AM, Bob & Sue said:

Just a heads up yesterday I needed to change to a finer grit wheel on my bench grinder I have a box of wheels that came from my dad after he died. The 1st one I pulled out was a brand new Norton wheel at least 35 yrs old after going thru the box I found 2 more Norton wheels. Norton is one of the companies we sued they contain a high content of asbestos. I was sure I had disposed of them in 2004 along with all the other items we found in my dad's workroom like Bondex joint compound, kiln bricks just to mention a few. Most older 35-40 yr old grinding contain asbestos.

If you have any old grinding wheels get rid of them properly, I sprayed the whole box down with water inside & out then double wrapped it with garbage bags then wrapped it with duct tape. Monday or Tuesday it will be picked up by the states hazardous material division.

Makes you wonder about all grinding wheels. I would think most come from China where asbestos is still the norm.

1 hour ago, bigmal said:

Makes you wonder about all grinding wheels. I would think most come from China where asbestos is still the norm.

It does make you wonder what's in anything china doesn't care what they export poison in cat & dog food, chemicals banned by most countries in children's toys

I sent a sample of the underbody deadener from the areas I was working to be tested for asbestos and just got the report back 'No asbestos detected' As the car has previously had the floor plans replaced this may explain it. A big relief for this part.

Unfortunately I did a lot of cutting and grinding of the heater box thinking it was just fibreglass. When I next get access I will remove a piece and have it sampled.