copb8

Borgeson Steering Box Fitment Issue

Ain't nuthin easy in this world! :-)

But I'm sure I'm not telling any of you anything new.

I'm in the process of replacing my stock power steering components with the Borgeson unit in my 70 351C car. It seems I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Have any of you run into the issue where the new steering box touches your stock exhaust manifold? Mine did. Barely. So instead of rapping the project up I spent the entire day replacing engine mounts because my old ones looked tired and slightly compressed. I now have about 1/8" clearance between the 2 parts. Is that enough? 

Funny, I read a lot before starting this and haven't heard of others having this issue.

Can't comment on the stock ones but my try-y's on the drivers side has only about an 1/8" clearance between the box and one of the pipes. It has never giving me any problems . Drivers side of the engine normally will lift a little when accelerating  forward so the clearance should increase.  

I have a 351w with manifolds, the borgeson is about 1/4" away from the exhaust right after the collector. Haven't had any issues. I'm hope after I install headers there will still be clearance.

I am running my power steering hoses through the drivers side fenderwell to keep them cool.  On my '68 coupe, I have them wrapped in DEI heat sleeving.   I will be posting pictures of the hose outing/bulkhead connectors, etc on my Project site next week....

I will let you know how it works out and post some pics on my project thread.  Mike (latoracing) is making me some adjustable motor mounts that will allow 3 axis movement.  I may need this to deal with the high rise intake manifold I have and the shaker hood, my small block 351W headers and a C-6 transmission, and my Borgeson steering box.  Should be fun....

That is not enough space heat wise. I would be very afraid of heat damaging the box as some point.

ifmit was me I think I would slightly dent the headers and then install a header wrap in that area to insulate heat from getting to that box too much

That would mean I'd have to add headers. Currently it has the cast iron manifold.

I can't imagine that everyone who's done this common upgrade has had to change out their manifolds and if that's the case I can't see where they'd have too much more clearance than I do.

Does that sound like solid logic?

I have the CPP box which is basically the same as the borgenson one now. As I said it is about 1/8 away from one of the tubes. The CPP box I installed initially developed a squeak when turning the steering shaft.   It was last summer when all this took place and my thought was maybe it got too hot but while changing it out with CPP I ask them about the heat near the box and they told me it should not matter. I would have thought that heat would have an effect on the box but fwiw they said no. I installed the replacement about mid summer last year and added a cooler for the power steering fluid. Time will tell.