Sign in to follow this  
MN69Grande

Door window adjustment help

So the first 'Easy project' I was going to tackle in December was simple. Replace the door wiring harness on the drivers side.  Once I had the door apart I notice the power window unit was all bent up so I started digging.  The front Glass Run was not bolted in on the top, the rear stop had a nut attached to it with a hose clamp to make the window stop lower than the max adjustment.  Anyway.  I put a bolt in run and took the nut off.  I beat the power window bracket back into shape and put it all back together.  I also converted to bolt in glass. 

Things seemed to work but the power window bracket didn't hold shape.  I called electric life, they don't do repairs or sell replacement part and said I'd need to order a new kit.  So I ordered a kit from Nu-Relic.  Which is WAY more substantial.  Wish I bought it originally.  Anyway got it in.  Now nothing wiggles or moves.

However the glass pinches against the inner door skin in the back a little past the door  lock pull when I roll the window down.  I've move both glass run at the bottom as close to inside of the car as possible.  I'm thinking of taking everything apart for 400th time pulling the runs, and trimming the tabs at the bottom a bit so I can move them say 1/4 - 3/8 further in.  However any other suggestions would be great.

I know getting the windows to work can be difficult.  If you want to wait until April, I can stop by and we can compare to my car.  It has Cougar factory power windows.  You can see how it works. 

On 2/7/2018 at 11:46 PM, danno said:

I know getting the windows to work can be difficult.  If you want to wait until April, I can stop by and we can compare to my car.  It has Cougar factory power windows.  You can see how it works. 

Hey Danno - thanks for the offer.  I'm still messing with this.  Mostly because work has kept me out of the garage for almost 2 months.  Hopefully I get it set before the snow is gone and we can get the cars on the road.

Ok so if someone or multiple someones can tell me why what I'm about to do is idiotic it would be great help. 

When I pull the window run on the bottom as close to the inside of the car as possible there is still a 1/4" gap between the glass and the vinal/felt on the out side of the door, and I can't roll the window down all the way with out the glass coming into contact with the door metal in the back.    The door was a complete new door from supposedly Ford Tooling.  But I think it was made slightly off at this point since I have maxed out the adjustments and can't get it to work. 

The shop that did the work originally solved this problem by leaving the top door run bolts loose.  Which is one of the reasons I think my regulator got bent out of shape.

So my solution is to elongate the holes on the bottom of the door toward the inside to allow me more adjustment.  I think I need 3/8 of an inch or so.  So please some one tell why this is stupid and maybe suggest something other than a different door.   I guess option 2 would be cutting the heads off the door runs and welding them on 3/8 inch forward.  But that is thin metal and I'm not a good welder.   The runs I have are original the door is new repop ford/tooling (supposedly).

There are a large amount of different adjustments in these windows.  I seem to remember it possible to put a spacer in the top between the thing that slides on the guide and the metal bracket that the window sits in.  This assumes you have 69 glass with the metal brackets that the glass is glued into. 

Otherwise wait another 4 weeks, for the snow to melt and the salt to wash off the streets, and I will stop by. 

do not match the window to fit the door. always match the window to fit the rubber, but this can be a problem if you have repo rubber. i repo vertical window guides may also be contributing to the problem. i also never use repo doors.

10 hours ago, barnett468 said:

do not match the window to fit the door. always match the window to fit the rubber, but this can be a problem if you have repo rubber. i repo vertical window guides may also be contributing to the problem. i also never use repo doors.

Thanks Barnett.  You are correct the window at the top is not leaning into the rubber correctly either.  Same issue.  Seems the runs need more adjustment on the bottom.  The runs are original, the guides are original.  I did get new brackets and bolt in glass vs glue in.  But yeah I wish we had repaired the old door rather than replace it now.  Lesson learned too late.