Thin Lizzy

69-70 Hood Scoop on a Shaker Hood?

Hi All,

Can you please tell me if the Scott Drake Hood Scoop (C9ZZ-16C630-A) will fit on a 69-70 standard shaker hood please?  A mate of mine with a 1970 Sportsback is hoping they'll fit.

Hood Scoop:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sdk-c9zz16c630a/overview/

Hood:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/hood-metal-with-shaker-hole-and-hood-lock-holes-1970/p/HD46/

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark.

Thanks for the info, just wondering if the new hoods from CJs are those dims.

The hood is off my mates 1970 Mustang.  He's owned the car for 12 year and he's just spent $30,000 getting the engine rebuilt and body resprayed.

He finally collected the car last week after 1 years restoration and on the way back it was raining and he spun the car and hit the bank.

There is damage to the hood, front fender and a small dent to the rear quarter below the rear fender and that's it.  The Luxembourg garage has quoted $7000 for the repair and the insurance company has accepted the claim.  Crazy.

He wants to upgrade the hood.

Here are the photos:

28267942009_9ae7ec6db8_b.jpg

40014572202_ece454336c_b.jpg

28267941229_658a6fed62_b.jpg

Hi Mark. 

Im not sure why you would use a shaker hood and put a standard hood scoop on . Wouldn’t you be better just using the standard hood . The shaker hole may not let you put the standard hood scoop studs in.  Also if the standard scoop has the turn signals on it you will need to cut the oval holes in the hood . 

I converted my standard hood with scoop to the shaker . I will try and attach some pics . 

178.jpg

179.jpg

I actually have a Shaker hood that someone installed a scoop on, and it is a mess.  You wind up with extra holes in the hood, and it looks like crap when you open the hood.  In my case, one of the former owners also tried to install hood pins.  Not good.  This hood is currently in my storage building, not sure what to do with it. It's a shame, as it is an original hood that came off of a 1970 Mach 1.

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

Yep it’s lot of work to change either way but if you want a standard hood scoop just start with a standard hood. Don’t try and reinvent the wheel. That is unless someone is giving you a hood for free. The standard scoops never had a hole in the hood from what I understand. The only holes were the holes for the indicator lamps.

I have never seen before, and I have seen a  lot of Mustangs.  Is there a Ford part # on that cross shaped piece?   So you actually have a factory shaker hood with a functioning fixed hood scoop?   Very cool 

8 hours ago, Thin Lizzy said:

Here's the underside of mine.  Original hood and hole, so functioning.

39161131925_4c631c4d76_b.jpg

39348830124_78a457d286_b.jpg

I’ve seen that before but I didn’t realise it was made from the factory. My hood wasn’t the original but someone had just cut a hole in it. Nice to se it was functional. 

On 2/2/2018 at 6:35 PM, Vicfreg said:

I actually have a Shaker hood that someone installed a scoop on, and it is a mess.  You wind up with extra holes in the hood, and it looks like crap when you open the hood.  In my case, one of the former owners also tried to install hood pins.  Not good.  This hood is currently in my storage building, not sure what to do with it. It's a shame, as it is an original hood that came off of a 1970 Mach 1.

I didn't realize that any 70 Mach 1's came without the hood pins. I thought that was part of the package.