bigmal

Fitting a Brake Light to the Spoiler

I thought I would share a mod I just did to my 69.  I used a spoiler from a 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer that I got from the wreckers for $20. The profile of the doner spoiler was almost identical to the Mustang spoiler.

I wanted the light to not be very obvious when walking around the car. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

13 hours ago, bigmal said:

Attached. I'm really happy with how it turned out and is not really visible until the brake is on.

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

what did you use to glue it together?

was it fiberglass work or just epoxy?

9 hours ago, newstang said:

what did you use to glue it together?

was it fiberglass work or just epoxy?

I used an Aussie product called Plasti-Bond. It is an epoxy filler/glue. The section of spoiler I used was plastic and the fibreglass reson doesn’t bond too well to this. 

10 hours ago, newstang said:

I cut a piece of cardboard so I had the profile of my spoiler and took it to a wrecking yard and looked for a spoiler with a similar profile. There were plenty of options and even if the profile isn’t exact it doesn’t matter too much as you can just cut out a smaller section. 

Mine was off a 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer and was $20 for the whole spoiler. And they are the crappy Australian dollars. 

1 hour ago, bigmal said:

I cut a piece of cardboard so I had the profile of my spoiler and took it to a wrecking yard and looked for a spoiler with a similar profile. There were plenty of options and even if the profile isn’t exact it doesn’t matter too much as you can just cut out a smaller section. 

Mine was off a 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer and was $20 for the whole spoiler. And they are the crappy Australian dollars. 

Funny, I just looked up the exchange rate and its  .69 to the USD

dont feel bad, we have the same issue with euro and pound.

11 hours ago, Midlife said:

At least you guys have euro's, pounds, and AD's to throw around.  Right now, I'm trying to find another penny so I can rub the two of them together...

I have a jar of pennies I can send you. shipping them would cost more than they're worth :-)