MUST

Best manufacturer for NEW AOD?

Unless there are adapters or Bell housing conversions, like the manuals, I don't think so. Also, what motor to you have? 

I recommend checking out performance automatic (put purchase the transmission through summitracing, better pricing), as I believe they build AOD's to handle the performance of the motor.

I had Performance automatic "Street Fighter" c4 transmission before it got stolen/swapped at the shop I took it too (Long story). I purchased it in on 08 and it never failed, the transmission was top notch and never any leaks.

the c4 I have now (the swapped one) is rebuilt with the HD clutches, but it still doesn't pull like my street fighter did, most likely built with a stock shift kit and lower RPM torque convertor. luckily, Im saving up for my TKO swap from MDL and get a few more gears.

Also, there are a ton of guys on here who converted to AOD so they can definitely help you out. it's an Older AOD but it will fit your application as long as its a pushrod

Check out silver fox.   I was thinking of going with one of his.  But kept my c4 and added a gear vendors.  I assume you mean a rebuilt aod from the 80s early 90s with new improved valve body and shift pattern.  He can build you anything.  Lots and lots of options.  

http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/Home.html

I did not have a good experience with Performance Automatic. I had to send it back 3 times. The trans. could not handle the hp. I went with Lentech and all was good. I would recommend Lentech or Silverfox. An AOD will fit but you will need a different cross member, linkage and shorten the drive shaft approx. 1 inch. 

1 hour ago, 69Stanger408 said:

I went with the 4R70W Blue Chip package from Performance Automatic.

$4,500! Damn! That's what I spent on my 393w AFR head stroker.

Man find you a 4R70W someone has used for under a grand, call Baumans and order a controller for 600 and get a crossmember kit from Joe Persad for like 300 then shorten or have a new alum driveshaft built for 100-400, if u wanna use B&M shifter add 60 bucks for their control lever kit, add a TPS To your holley carb and away you go for about $2000 give or take a few hondos.. Bone stock a 4R will take 400 hp, add jbody mod and will take 500 or more.

My lightly built 4R has been taking all my 408 can dish out

On 1/29/2018 at 2:29 PM, MUST said:

Hi Guys, who is the best most reliable manufacturer for a NEW AOD for a 450HP engine? Brand und Type :)

BR

Tom

I actually built an AOD with help and tips from the Silver Fox. I put the gears from a 4R that I had from a 2000 Crown Vic. ( case won't work but internals are the same.) 

Knowing what I learned from this I would find a 4R from a 3.8 engine and add the extra frictions and steels get an electronic controller.  If you are converting to an AOD from scratch you want have that much more money in it to go ahead and convert to a 4R. You will be glad you did.   

Question, how much clearance is there for the 9 pin transmission controller connector on the passenger side of the 4R70W? The trans sits too high in the tunnel to fit the connector. One option is to use a hole say and drill through the passenger floor for the clearance and mock op some kind of access panel...looking for guidance/suggestions.