jgkurz

Quarter Panel Extension Doesn't fit

Hi folks,

I need some help with my 69 Mach 1 quarter panel extensions. I am preparing my car for paint and removed the current (red) quarter panel extensions only to find the the passenger side extension is damaged and had been repaired. The driver side was perfect. I bought an original used 69 Mach 1 replacement with the same C9ZB-6328518-C-2 part number as the passenger side extension.

The fit of the replacement extension (silver) isn't close to the same fit. Take a look at my photos. Did Ford's tooling vary in tolerances this much? Is it just a matter of looking over several extensions until I find one that is close?

25065440987_9ec3851b24_c.jpgIMG_0781 by jgkurz, on Flickr

39226546824_5a1fcb609c_c.jpgIMG_0782 by jgkurz, on Flickr

25065439427_d4f9c48c3f_c.jpgIMG_0783 by jgkurz, on Flickr

39226544844_2afed7d0d6_c.jpgIMG_0784 by jgkurz, on Flickr

28157185499_c9aa8fc63d_c.jpgIMG_0785 by jgkurz, on Flickr

My bet is when your passenger side quarter panel was repaired the quarter panel extension was modified to fit the repair. Instead of repairing the quarter panel to match the original body lines someone simply modified the extension to match their repair.

Or the extension was repaired and didn't line up quite right with the quarter panel, but instead of replacing it with a correct one they simply modified the panel enough so the two lined up.

Here are more photos. Click on them for the best view. The two original red extensions seem to match. The passenger side does not match the silver replacement at all. I had a 70 to compare and it was even worse. The extensions are pot metal so could they bend?? My novice eyes see no evidence of it being bent, but I am not an expert. The other thought I had was that I was sent a coupe extension. Are the coupe and Mach 1 extensions different? 

28158373629_9e5c477542_o.jpgQp ext by jgkurz, on Flickr

26065834078_20ab4b41fa_o.jpgQp ext by jgkurz, on Flickr

28158373859_ec03ebc8f4_o.jpgQp ext by jgkurz, on Flickr

39227578374_e24a5bc4f3_o.jpgQp ext by jgkurz, on Flickr

Coupe and convertable extensions are very different than fastback extensions. As far as I remember, my 69 fastback extensions are fiberglass. Don't know which cars got pot metal, which ones got fiberglass extensions.

Nothing screaming out as to the cause of the difference, but as I look at it, I am in agreement with Ridge.  I'm betting the silver extension may not be as good as hoped.  Also, Brian's measurement could be very helpful in sorting which extension is viable.  Something odd going on for sure.

I'm with Ridge Runner, these extension can be twisted carefully. I was able to realign my '70's extension to fit the fender contour and match the spoiler at the same time. I could be the silver one has bondo but that can easily be removed and determined if it is been damaged in an accident.