jerrywmalcolm

safety netural switch

i have a 69 mach 1,  auto,  this is only a question,   i will probly install a new safety switch,  but,  i've read diff things about not using one,  and by passing the safety switrch since theres only 2 wires going from the switch can u just connect the 2 wires coming from the firrewall  letting u start in any trans handle position?,  have heard about people doing it and starting car in dr or rev etc,  any thoughts out there?,  thanks    jerry

69 mach 1.JPG

Yes, you can bypass the actual switch by jumpering the two wires going to the transmission (red/blue wires), but there is a safety issue when you start the car and it is in gear.  Not a good idea, particularly if someone else who is less familiar with the car attempts to start it (e.g. wife, mistress, children, dogs, police, etc.)

9 minutes ago, Midlife said:

Yes, you can bypass the actual switch by jumpering the two wires going to the transmission (red/blue wires), but there is a safety issue when you start the car and it is in gear.  Not a good idea, particularly if someone else who is less familiar with the car attempts to start it (e.g. wife, mistress, children, dogs, police, etc.)

LOL  maybe that is his point

1 hour ago, MN69Grande said:

Don't bring the Mustang into such a devious plot, possibly sacrifice the daily instead.  That's a nice looking mach.

Still the point, if you sacrifice a valuable piece of equipment you may not get blamed for the devious plot. ( just kidding)   

Hello jerry,

Not too often I write here - but I learn a LOT

Take it from an OLD guy - -DO NOT jump out the safety switch.

The car is beautiful and in my opinion not worth bypassing anything safety related.

I strongly suggest you swap the switch with a new one

Just my thinking - -Sam

Replace the neutral safety switch.  Do not bypass it. Oh yeah, that's a nice car.  My preference is to keep these basically looking stock.

jerrywmalcolm:  Not to change the topic.  What size tires are on those wheels?  I have the same wheels on my 69 Mach 1 and need to replace the tires because of age.  They are currently 215-70 14 and I was wondering if a 225-70 14 fits those wheels correctly.

There's all positives and no negatives associated with replacing the NSS. It's a pretty simple operation. There are some serious downsides to bypassing it. In the event something tragic happens because of the bypassed switch, you're responsible. Would you really be willing to take a chance that someone won't get hurt because you didn't want to swap out a simple part?

21 hours ago, jerrywmalcolm said:

i have a 69 mach 1,  auto,  this is only a question,   i will probly install a new safety switch,  but,  i've read diff things about not using one,  and by passing the safety switrch since theres only 2 wires going from the switch can u just connect the 2 wires coming from the firrewall  letting u start in any trans handle position?,  have heard about people doing it and starting car in dr or rev etc,  any thoughts out there?,  thanks    jerry

69 mach 1.JPG

Replace the switch, it not only will make it safe in only starting in N or P but it controls your back up lamps for others to see your reversing from parking spots.

The backup lights and the NSS are wired separately.   I bypassed my NSS, as I have no desire to have my ignition wiring running under the car.   It is no different than driving a manual transmission.   But, I would not recommend bypassing it to another owner.  It is a personal decision.