Her69fastback

Best carbureter for stock 302

I’m going to put a intake &  carbureter on wife’s car. It’s a stock 302. I’m looking at a 600 cfm. Holley or ederlbrock. I have had them both. The only problem I ever had was the ederlbrock ran a little rich never could figure out how to adjust it. It’s a 2 barrel car.

you couldn't pay me to use an edelbrock. you might want to look at quick fuel carbs also. 500 to 600 cfm will work . you may have to change the secondary spring to get optimum performance. setting your ignition timing curve for optimum perf is also helpful but a bit more involved.

2 hours ago, Her69fastback said:

I’m going to put a intake &  carbureter on wife’s car. It’s a stock 302. I’m looking at a 600 cfm. Holley or ederlbrock. I have had them both. The only problem I ever had was the ederlbrock ran a little rich never could figure out how to adjust it. It’s a 2 barrel car.

If it's all stock I've heard of people having real nice success with the Holley 2bbl.  Save a little money (no need for an intake) and work on your side: 

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-4412S/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710573699&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=aud-391305285814:pla-208407111911&CATARGETID=230006180037475183&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWENFUHSSUK-B0vSvLyU6vDsoX3SAGoY0qmRAxEho9g9nFVg_ETa1JxoClfAQAvD_BwE

Without changing some of the other parts of your engine I'm not sure you'll get a ton more out of the car with a 4 bbl.  But if that is the route you want to go I've also heard good things about the quick fuel 500-600 cfms.  Also I would look at the Holley 570 Street Avenger. 

I use a Holley 570 Street Avenger with an Edelbrock Performer intake, and I am happy with it.  If your car is stock, then you should probably stick with a dual plane intake.  There are tons available in nice, used condition.  I would buy the carburetor new.  Get an electric choke.  That alone is worth ditching the old setup.

For a stock 302, the smaller flowing 4100 with 1.08 venturis is more than sufficient.  Easier to come by as well.  The 4100 was a well-designed and engineered carb.  Some consider it the best carb design by the big 3 for mass production.