Len69Coupe

Which idler arm

So I'm rebuilding (still) the steering on my manual steering 69. The seals are shot on the idler arm and I thought I'd replace them, but might as well replace the arm right? Several sites show different arms for the manual steering:

this  http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Steering/Idler-Arm-Bushings-Brackets/Idler-Arm-1967-1970-Mustang-Cougar-with-Manual-Steering.axd

and this http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Steering/Idler-Arm-Bushings-Brackets/Idler-Arm-1967-1970-Mustang-Cougar-with-Manual-Steering.axd

The 2nd one is a Moog and looks more like mine, but which is correct? Is the cheaper one that crappy?

Here's mine:

2018-01-13 12.40.46.jpg

Both links are to the same. That being said I moog has a history of quality and likely what I would choose. Also keep in mind these manufactures sell parts to your neighborhood auto parts store. No need to buy from one of the online mustang parts vendors. 

I'll check my local parts place. I also checked out the Opentracker as well. Nice product.

Thanks guys.

Edit: here is the correct 2nd one http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Steering/Idler-Arm-Bushings-Brackets/Idler-Arm-1967-1970-Mustang-Cougar-with-Manual-Steering.axd

Over twice the price for the Moog.

And Advance wants over $100. They're nuts. 

I've got an Opentracker roller idler which is solid and nice. However, the cotter pin hole where the idler mounts to the L bracket is perpendicular to the frame instead of parallel. Mine must be the only one clocked this way as I've not seen any complaints. But it sure makes it a royal pita to safety wire it as a cotter pin won't work. 

10 hours ago, RPM said:

I've got an Opentracker roller idler which is solid and nice. However, the cotter pin hole where the idler mounts to the L bracket is perpendicular to the frame instead of parallel. Mine must be the only one clocked this way as I've not seen any complaints. But it sure makes it a royal pita to safety wire it as a cotter pin won't work. 

Doesn't the stud that goes through the L bracket turn when you turn the wheels like tie rod? You can turn it before you tighten the castle nut attaching the bracket to idler so the hole is parallel to frame then you can install the cotter pin. 

2 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Doesn't the stud that goes through the L bracket turn when you turn the wheels like tie rod? 

You'd think so wouldn't you? Mine won't budge, don't Los of it's an anomaly or sop. I sent an email to Dan at OT but he's on his winter break. Hopefully he reads his emails. 

4 hours ago, RPM said:

You'd think so wouldn't you? Mine won't budge, don't Los of it's an anomaly or sop. I sent an email to Dan at OT but he's on his winter break. Hopefully he reads his emails. 

Why not call & talk to John? When I e mailed them when I was going to buy all my f/e parts from them either John or his wife Sherri returned my e mails.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

How are the wheels going to turn when you turn the steering?

John is south for the winter on his break from work, or I would've called him. 

On at least 2 occasions I used a punch thru the cotter pin hole to try and rotate the stud w/o success. True story. I just went out to try it again and it turned easily. Wtfresno? Wheaties or lack thereof I'm guessing.