Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Suggested Tire Sizes for Magnum 500 Wheels

I'm going to acquire some Magnum 500 wheels soon and wanted some opinions and possibly pictures of suggested tire sizes as applied on your car. My car is a 69 Mach 1 that will be fitted with15x7" Magnums with 4.25" back spacing for the front and 15x8" Magnums with 4.50 back spacing for the rear. The front will be lowered about an inch from the factory setting with some Opentracker Racing components that are essentially of stock configuration. With the exception of some Boss 302 rear leafs, which will lower the rear stance about an inch, no other changes. My thoughts are BF Goodrich Radial TA's of 215/65R15 (front) and 255/60R15 (rear), as this is a combination I have noted from some web surfing. I don't want any fender rub, yet I do want to put the widest tires on I can. From what I've read, 255's are pushing it. Thoughts and comments much appreciated!

John 

Hi John, I have 7” 500s front and rear with TAs. 225/60 front and 245/60 rear. The rear look a little balloony so I will be changing to 8” on the rear in a few months. At present there’s plenty of clearance. Front coils a 1” lowered with another 1 1/2” cut off the end of each to make it just a little lower.IMG_2103.thumb.JPG.a299bed9715a8df3469b20133c7cf9b9.JPG

11 hours ago, barnett468 said:

235/60-15 will be the widest you can put on the front without them hitting slightly under some conditions.

Barnett, I'm trying to put the widest tires (TA Radials) on the above mentioned Wheels without rub and yet still maintain a classy look. Really don't want the balloon look or tires rubbing those fender wells. My car will be lower an inch all the way around. I think you said 225's would fit without issue on the front. How would 255's fit in the rear on my described Magnum 500 wheels? I see a lot of guys going with 245. Thanks!

John 

On 1/5/2018 at 8:15 PM, bigmal said:

Hi John, I have 7” 500s front and rear with TAs. 225/60 front and 245/60 rear. The rear look a little balloony so I will be changing to 8” on the rear in a few months. At present there’s plenty of clearance. Front coils a 1” lowered with another 1 1/2” cut off the end of each to make it just a little lower.IMG_2103.thumb.JPG.a299bed9715a8df3469b20133c7cf9b9.JPG

That's beautiful, bigmal.....gorgeous! Nothing beats the lines of a 69! Do you know what the back spacing is on your wheels? Also, are you going to keep with the 245's on the 8" wheels you acquire?

BTW, I'm wondering if we have had conversation before regarding diecast cars. Do you own a diecast car business? I have spoken with a gentleman, many times, I think from Sydney, whom owns several Mustangs.....Grabber Orange 70, Teal colored 68 Fastback GT, and he also had or was in the process of acquiring a 69. I lost his email and lost touch of him a year or so ago. Wondering if you are him, or may know him?  Thank you!!!  

3 hours ago, Machspeed said:

Barnett, I'm trying to put the widest tires (TA Radials) on the above mentioned Wheels without rub and yet still maintain a classy look. Really don't want the balloon look or tires rubbing those fender wells. My car will be lower an inch all the way around. I think you said 225's would fit without issue on the front. How would 255's fit in the rear on my described Magnum 500 wheels? I see a lot of guys going with 245. Thanks!

John 

235, 60 15 will fit the front.

not sure on the 255

21 hours ago, Machspeed said:

That's beautiful, bigmal.....gorgeous! Nothing beats the lines of a 69! Do you know what the back spacing is on your wheels? Also, are you going to keep with the 245's on the 8" wheels you acquire?

BTW, I'm wondering if we have had conversation before regarding diecast cars. Do you own a diecast car business? I have spoken with a gentleman, many times, I think from Sydney, whom owns several Mustangs.....Grabber Orange 70, Teal colored 68 Fastback GT, and he also had or was in the process of acquiring a 69. I lost his email and lost touch of him a year or so ago. Wondering if you are him, or may know him?  Thank you!!!  

Hi. Machspeed,

i will be keeping the 245s on the back. I don’t know the back spacing when I go to 8s. I don’t know if I have a lot of options over here. 

And sorry but I’m not him. This is my only stang. If I had more places to park I would have at least another,

mal.

Great posting.  Thank you.  I have pretty much the same car as Machspeed.   Will be on the road this spring.

Is there a preferance between the steel/chrome Magnums vs the aluminum polished?  I like the look of the real chrome.

22 hours ago, ralt962 said:

Great posting.  Thank you.  I have pretty much the same car as Machspeed.   Will be on the road this spring.

Is there a preferance between the steel/chrome Magnums vs the aluminum polished?  I like the look of the real chrome.

I like the chrome. Alloy always seems to loose its shine over time and not quite as sparkly (if that's a word).

15 hours ago, bigmal said:

I like the chrome. Alloy always seems to loose its shine over time and not quite as sparkly (if that's a word).

I tend to agree.  I like the real chrome vs polished aluminum.  Fits the car better with the chrome accents.