Machspeed

Magnum 500 Wheel Shopping

Have you given any thought to buying some originals I see them on C/L and at swap meets. Spend the money to have them restored I know 2 people here that specialize in wheel restoration I'm sure there's someone near you.

1 hour ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I agree that's a beautiful car Larry, with a perfect ride height.  I reviewed the CJPony video about the 4.5 Scott Drake mid eyes. He says they are intended for light duty use on 64.5 to 66 six cylinder cars, or on V8s for a softer ride. I'm just wondering if you get  wheel hop? Of course we need to know more about your drive train also- are you making good HP or is it more of a cruiser?

My Mach is currently completely stock and only a 351w 2V, but it lights up the tires and hops all over the place in second gear. I intend to improve the HP considerably and will need to stiffen-up my rear springs. Your help is greatly appreciated. 

It's a 351c with 4v CC heads, rpm airgap manifold, Fitech EFI, Crane 222/234 duration, .534/.539 lift, roller rockers and Sanderson shorty headers.  I'm thinkin 350 hp at least.  Yea will light up tires pretty easy.

The SD  mid-eye rear springs are 4.5's, the half leaf in on top and in front to prevent wheel hop, Opentraker sells the exact SD spring.  Also the 3.70 rear is a trac-lok and frame connectors

Probably could have got reverse eye and wouldn't needed the 1" blocks.  I felt if I got the reverse eye and was too low I'd SOL.  With the mid-eye I could add or remove blocks to get it where I wanted.  Have  KYB Gr2,s all around.  I can't stress enough how the front handles and takes bad washboard roads

Larry, I think I may have spoken to you in the past....do you have electric steering on your car?

BTW, owned a 70 Grabber Blue Mach that was loaded with every option you could have put on the car back then.....351C, Toploader trans, shaker, spoiler, slats, folddown rear seat, dual gauge console, etc. Regrettably sold that car to my brother whom  ended up trading it off for an old Ford truck and a Mustang II. Jeez, what was I thinking.     

35 minutes ago, Bob & Sue said:

Have you given any thought to buying some originals I see them on C/L and at swap meets. Spend the money to have them restored I know 2 people here that specialize in wheel restoration I'm sure there's someone near you.

No Bob, quality chroming processes cost a fortune. By the time I spend the money for the wheels and then to have them chromed, I think I may be better off buying new from Coker....lol! 

On 1/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, Machspeed said:

Larry, I think I may have spoken to you in the past....do you have electric steering on your car?

BTW, owned a 70 Grabber Blue Mach that was loaded with every option you could have put on the car back then.....351C, Toploader trans, shaker, spoiler, slats, folddown rear seat, dual gauge console, etc. Regrettably sold that car to my brother whom  ended up trading it off for an old Ford truck and a Mustang II. Jeez, what was I thinking.     

Yes to EPS

I have the Equinox with the Bruno box, manual and no a/c.  It's clocked about 3:30-4:00.  I had to remove the dash brace that connects to the right booster stud and has a sheet metal screw to the lower dash.  It's like above the gas pedal.

I don't think it does much because the lower dash is strengthened by the column.  Be honest didn't think it would fit there but it does. It's the only place I had

I think on a '69 you may have more options because the column to dash bracket I think is a little smaller.

Right now I'm lookin at '80 to maybe '91 Bronco/F-150 tilt columns w/floor shift that I think I could mod to fit the EPS.  Our car's are not very ergonomic and and I did the TMI first version of sport seats.  I lessened the distance from steering wheel to seat.  It has a very slight larger bolsters,  If I didn't tell someone they look stock.  TMI came out with Sort seats II because the version I have is just a slight difference from stock

May sound stupid but I can't get into the mustang like most new cars.  If I do my right leg gets jammed between seat and steering wheel.  So I sit sideways in the seat with my both legs outside the car and the swing my legs in.

Getting out I put my left hand on the sill plate and pivot out

dash brace.jpg

IMG_0357 (1).JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

7 minutes ago, larryc94 said:

What year do you have?

I do not have the donor truck column yet, still looking for one at a yard close by. But looking at the column on my 86 Bronco (tilt and column shift C6), both floor shift and column shift columns should work (have to remove the shifter and cut the housing where shifter is mounted flush and plug the hole). Seems like column shift is a lot easier to find than floor shift column. Have 2 2008ish Prius EPSs ready. I have a few 69 and a few 70 Mustangs, the modified columns will go to them.

Thanks for the EPS details & pic Larry !!

I've got 4-Speed and A/C and have been eyeing up the EPAS Perfomance kit that Stangaholics sells with the already modified Ididit Tilt column.   I like the idea of a simpler bolt in / plug & play set up and gaining the tilt function is a bonus ... plus I'd rather not modify my original column that I recently rebuilt/restored and painted with the correct charcoal metallic.    Figured I'd buy the kit with the unfinished column that way I can paint it with the correct paint.  

I apologize for helping derail this Magnum 500 thread !!

Doug  

1 hour ago, Machspeed said:

Larry, what's up with the 69 steering wheel in your car?

That's what came with my car 29 yrs ago.  Some guy's have cars that have a "pedigree" well that's not mine and if cars could talk it would be some story it could tell.

The wheel was in good shape I think only 2 cracks and the pad was perfect so I restored the wheel and came out great.  Maybe I'll come across a '70 wheel for a good price. 

On facebook somebody was looking for a great condition '69 wheel. and had '70 wheel to trade.  His was not equal to mine so I wanted $$ and never heard back

5 hours ago, stangs-R-me said:

Thanks for the EPS details & pic Larry !!

I've got 4-Speed and A/C and have been eyeing up the EPAS Perfomance kit that Stangaholics sells with the already modified Ididit Tilt column.   I like the idea of a simpler bolt in / plug & play set up and gaining the tilt function is a bonus ... plus I'd rather not modify my original column that I recently rebuilt/restored and painted with the correct charcoal metallic.    Figured I'd buy the kit with the unfinished column that way I can paint it with the correct paint.  

I apologize for helping derail this Magnum 500 thread !!

Doug  

I still have my original column untouched and waited till I found a column on CL for $75 to start the project.  Figured if It didn't work out could always go back my original back..options..options

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

specialty wheels are the best period . coker sells them.

There all made in the same factory just put in different boxes since Coker bought Specialty, and Wheel Vintique.  At one time they were made by separate factories and had different qualities.

48 minutes ago, larryc94 said:

There all made in the same factory just put in different boxes since Coker bought Specialty, and Wheel Vintique.  At one time they were made by separate factories and had different qualities.

well i know the owner of specialty and he was making them for coker for a while after he sold out to them. coker told me the only ones they sell are specialty and i am a coker dealer, so it sounds like there is some conflicting info. who really knows for certain exactly what they are doing as of today.

I'm going with Specialty wheels and reading that Coker owned both Wheel Vintques and Specialty, I had concerns. I emailed Coker and this was their response: " Specialty Wheel is the producer of our rims, yes. When you purchase from us, you will receive American Made Specialty Wheels. They are not made in China or any other country. Wheel Vintiques is another company that we are associated with, but not relevant for the purposes of your purchase from Coker Tire." 

3 hours ago, Machspeed said:

I'm going with Specialty wheels and reading that Coker owned both Wheel Vintques and Specialty, I had concerns. I emailed Coker and this was their response: " Specialty Wheel is the producer of our rims, yes. When you purchase from us, you will receive American Made Specialty Wheels. They are not made in China or any other country. Wheel Vintiques is another company that we are associated with, but not relevant for the purposes of your purchase from Coker Tire." 

xlnt, that makes sense . no reason for them to lie to me.

2 hours ago, larryc94 said:

Well it seems that Wheel Vintique, Specialty wheel and Coker tire in City of Industry CA all have the same address

14955 Don Julian Rd  City of Industry, Ca 91746

https://www.cokertire.com/blog/grand-opening-coker-tire-city-of-industry-california/

that does not prove anything as far as who makes what wheels. it is best to never assume.

In that link there a banner for Wheel Vintique, I guess there just advertising for them.  Maybe there just renting space in Cokers building

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA SINCE 1986.

flag.png
MADE IN AMERICA
Since 1986, Wheel Vintiques has been manufacturing steel wheels for restored classics, muscle cars and hot rods. All manufacturing processes are handled in house, at our facility in City of Industry, California.
wheel.png
TRUE O.E. FITMENT
Wheel Vintiques manufactures wheels for many applications, and offers authentic O.E. fitment for high quality restorations. Precise sizing and single bolt patterns make our O.E. wheels the best on the market.
ruler.png
CUSTOM SIZING
Along with direct O.E. fitment, Wheel Vintiques offers custom sizing in many of our wheels. Larger diameters and wider overall widths are available, and custom backspacing is available on most wheels.

3 hours ago, larryc94 said:

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/394893/coker-group-purchases-wheel-vintiques  So in 2011 Coker buys Wheel Vintique and in 2014 opens a facility to manufacture and distribute wheels and tires. 

Maybe there is a separate manufacturing facility at that building that produces Wheel Vintique wheels

That may very well be because they told me that the specialty wheels are made back east which makes sense because that is where the owner of specialty moved to and they sometimes have to have the wheels I need shipped to them from back east.