Machspeed

Magnum 500 Wheel Shopping

With Coker tire also now in Southern California, I wonder if that means shipping to those of us on the West Coast will no longer cost a fortune?  In the past, some of their tire prices were better than local tire stores.  But shipping was so high, it more than ate up for any savings in tire prices.

I ordered 15X7 front and 15x8 rear from CJ.  They just called to say they are back ordered with a low probability of getting them.  Sounds like an alternative is Coker or Summit?  

Im going to check out the two alternatives to the true chrome Magnum 500 wheel. Do you know who makes the wheels for Coker or Summit?

5 minutes ago, ralt962 said:

I ordered 15X7 front and 15x8 rear from CJ.  They just called to say they are back ordered with a low probability of getting them.  Sounds like an alternative is Coker or Summit?  

Im going to check out the two alternatives to the true chrome Magnum 500 wheel. Do you know who makes the wheels for Coker or Summit?

The Coker wheels are from specialty wheel as I previously posted. Specialty wheels are the best.

Hear is a copy of a message I received  to maybe clear things up

"Boy, my memory is admittedly a bit fuzzy on this, but I'm going to go on memory nonetheless...

Yes, I'm pretty sure Coker has "absorbed" both companies. They've got quite the monopoly going on! wink.gif 

I also remember that back when WV and Specialty were competitors, WV was re-rimming and re-chroming original Magnum centers, whereas Specialty was manufacturing an entirely new wheel. Each had their pros/cons, but I remember the Specialty wheels being a more nicely done piece.

But that was way back when, has no bearing on today. Today, I think (in reality) that Coker has consolidated assets between both companies, and the Magnums being built in California are the Specialty tooling (especially since used/original center-hub cores have likely dried-up completely).

So it's the only game in town that I'm aware of, short of repro Magnums possibly being made offshore?? In any case, I'd aim for Specialty."

Rick
NPD

Coker appears to be out of stock on the steel wheels also.  There was a back order tag on it when I went to look for the chrome Magnum 500's.  It looks like I will need to go to the Legendary or Drake aluminum wheels.

I would guess the change in production or ownership has created a shut down in production of this wheel.  

58 minutes ago, ralt962 said:

Coker appears to be out of stock on the steel wheels also.  There was a back order tag on it when I went to look for the chrome Magnum 500's.  It looks like I will need to go to the Legendary or Drake aluminum wheels.

I would guess the change in production or ownership has created a shut down in production of this wheel.  

Ownership change was 2011 and 2014 so I don't know why there not making wheels.  

Hi Jhon.

2 years after, i have the same dilema and question you had. I want the Magnum 500 (Chrome) 15x7 + 15x8, but in several pages i found offers from Wheel Vintiques, Scotts Drake and Coker Tires. Pictures and descriptions looks almost the same and prices are similar. 

In your experience wich could be better? I look for best quality, im out of USA and i cant waste time and money on claims and product changes

Appreciate your comments

8 hours ago, Fabio AM said:

Hi Jhon.

2 years after, i have the same dilema and question you had. I want the Magnum 500 (Chrome) 15x7 + 15x8, but in several pages i found offers from Wheel Vintiques, Scotts Drake and Coker Tires. Pictures and descriptions looks almost the same and prices are similar. 

In your experience wich could be better? I look for best quality, im out of USA and i cant waste time and money on claims and product changes

Appreciate your comments

I purchased my wheels straight through Coker tire and they were Specialty Wheels at the time. A couple years have gone by, so I don't know what's going on in that market these days. While I have not put them on the car yet, they appear to be of very high quality. Frankly, with you living outside the US, I would call Coker and speak directly with them. The Drake stuff, I just don't know. The quality of their parts is all over the place. Good luck!  

I got my Coker Magnum 500s (15x7 and 15x8) from Summit Racing without tires.  I put on Cooper Cobras and love the look and grip.  

Seem like great quality only had one out of 4 with a little black overspray I just ignored.  Have been on the car for 1 year and 1,000 miles on a garage kept car, no rain.

Apparently one of my wheel tire combos needed extra weight to balance.  I wish I had had the wheel balance checked without tires before they were mounted. 

On 5/18/2020 at 9:40 PM, Fabio AM said:

Hi Jhon.

Appreciate your comments

I already posted that specialty wheels are the best but you now have to buy them from coker tire.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, TexasEd said:

I got my Coker Magnum 500s (15x7 and 15x8) from Summit Racing without tires.  I put on Cooper Cobras and love the look and grip.  

Seem like great quality only had one out of 4 with a little black overspray I just ignored.  Have been on the car for 1 year and 1,000 miles on a garage kept car, no rain.

Apparently one of my wheel tire combos needed extra weight to balance.  I wish I had had the wheel balance checked without tires before they were mounted. 

I ended up with the Legendary Magnum.  They look great.  run true.  Balanced with no issue.  I also ran the Cobra tires.  2 years on them.  So far so good.