Shep69

Diff Identification

Just want to ask the brains trust what ford diff this is . The diff is in a 56 F100 that i imported to Australia. The diff looks similar to a 9 inch and has cast numbers C8AW-4888A on the centre. The studs on the axils look to be 1/2 inch diameter and are on 5 inch pcd . The brake pads are a lot wider than my mustangs 9 inch. Basically i just need to know if parts are still available like cylinders and brake linings etc or am i better looking at other options. 

Thanks Mark

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

It appears that what you have here is a 9-3/8" axle.  These were used from around 1960 to 1972 large Ford cars (Lincoln) and big block pickup trucks.   Your last picture has the best clue to this.  The top rib of the axle housing is curved down and meets the second rib.  This is a unique characteristic of the 9-3/8" axle, that is not shared by the 9" rear ends.   (see picture of my center section, attached below, which is a "Nodular" case with a Daytona Pinion)

Other clues:

• The Ford part number in your 6th picture begins with "C8AW".    The third digit in this part number is an "A".   "A" is typically used for large Ford Cars like a Ford Galaxie.   1960's/1970's Mustangs typically use a "Z" , so you would see a "C8ZW" versus a "C8AW" if it were a Mustang Rear.
  • The large brake pads are an indication that it was used on a large car/truck.  
  • Rear drain plug

I have heard that you can put a 9" center section in one of these 9-3/8" housing, but have never personally done it.

Also, you need to check the flange to flange width of the axle assembly.  For a 1967-1970 Mustang, you need to have a flange to flange width of around 59-3/8".   My guess is that the axle you have is wider than that.

My opinion is that these 9-3/8" rear ends are not something that you can easily get parts for, so I would not personally recommend using this in a Mustang.  

If you do use it, it would be interesting to see how you modify it to work.  Best of luck!

Happy New Year!

IMG_2073.JPG

Thanks guys. Yeah I didn’t think it was a 9 inch. Damn. It’s not going in a mustang Vicfreg. It’s for my new project , my 56 F-100. I’m going to replace the stock leaf spring front end with a mustang 2 style so the stud pattern is important to have the same on the front and back. Currently the back is 5 and front is 5.5 . I can get the new front end studs to match the diff but if parts are hard to get it may pay for me to look at other options. If I can still get pads and cylinders for the diff I might just keep it as it’s only going to be a cruiser. 

Cheers Mark

3 hours ago, JET 445 said:

I say keep it, you can get parts for anything if you hunt around a bit, it's not like you will have to rebuild it again any time soon. Rebuild it now and you will probably never need to touch it again.

I started to have a look today Jet445 for some parts . Just the cylinders and drum pads. The diff centre isn’t leaking out the pinion seal so I might just give it a good clean up and run with it. 

I even had look at some disc brake kits but can’t find any with 5x5 discs to fit my axles.

As others have said, that is a 9 3/8 rear end. The housing is the same and the axles are compatible.

you can just put the 9” center of your choice in the housing. Typically when I get those I scrap the Center and narrow the housing.

for axles, I have aftermarket race axles that have the 4.5, 4.75, and 5” bolt circles.

the axles are $250 a pair brand new