redmastercraft

Value of a 1970 Toploader?

I'm about to stick my Toploader on ebay and looking for a what you guy's think is a fair price.  1970 RUG-AV1, wide ratio, small input that has a complete rebuild.  I'm going to swap to a TKO so no need to keep it around.  I also have the original Hurst Shifter so will probably sell them separately unless the price is right.

Tough call.  A lot of it depends on how many hard parts were replaced during the rebuild beyond the standard bearing, seals, and blocker rings.  I.E.  gears, shafts, syncro hubs, syncro sleeves, etc.  Look on Ebay and also see what David Kee Toploaders sells them for.

Price can vary by region. Where are you?

if you want the most money you can sell is a co plate system. Trans, shifter, belhousing, etc

prices can vary from $400 to about $800

i just bought one with belhousing and shifter for $420

Knowing what parts were replaced during the rebuild would help a lot.  These are tough transmissions.  But after 48 years most hard parts beyond the normal rebuild parts are worn out.  I recently rebuilt my 4sp top loader so I have been down the road of needing new gears, complete synchro assemblies, shift forks, etc.  You can easily spend $1000 to $1500 in parts to completely rebuild one.

$400 to $800 is cheap for a Ford 4sp top loader.  Those must need a rebuild plus a lot of additional new parts.  

If all the other hard parts are still in good condition, I think $1000 for the trans by itself is fair.  $1000 for the trans and shifter is low.  Wherever you list it, showing some pictures of the internal parts with the top cover removed will help.  That way people can see the condition of the gears, the syncro engagement teeth, shift forks, etc.  If all that is good, it should sell easily.

i would get the tko modified with the carbon fiber blocking rings on 2, 3, and 4, first along with possible the shift rod mod.

you can put the trans on ehay for fixed price 21 day auction for $1,000.00 then add the "make offer" option.

sell the shifter separately. put the shifter info in the trans ad and the trans info in the shifter ad.

i would probably start around $500.00 for the shifter if it is decent.