Midlife

Question for our Aussie friends

I've got a weird question for y'all, regarding this time of year.  Those of us in the northern hemisphere always associate Xmas and New Years with cold weather and that funny white stuff that falls from the sky.  There's lots of songs of White Christmas, sleigh rides through the snow, etc.  It must be radically different down below where it is nearing full summer time.  What's the general feeling about weather and Xmas for you?  Does the northern culture invade your attitudes about the Holidays?  Or do you have your own culture and summer/Xmas?  What sort of traditions do you have: do you cook on the barbie as your tradition? 

Just curious...

Hi mate,

we still talk about white Christmas's and snow even though that's not a not even a remote possibility in Oz. I always look forward to a hot Christmas day and the beach or the pool. Lots of Christmas beer as well.

As all of the Christmas shows come from the US I still think of it that way. A bit odd I know. I can't imagine Santa in swimmers and a singlet.

Yes, we have the Christmas tree with the lights and decorations. A lot of people up our way have their houses done in Christmas scenes

They look great, Christmas day for us is great food , beer and swimming in the pool.

As i write this my youngest daughter a i have been in the pool cause it's 96 degrees in your temp outside and i am having a cold beer.

BBQ tonight.

Always welcome to come down our way one Christmas, you will like it

It doesn't sound all that different than southern California. My sis says its going to be 80 degrees there today, and it never snows unless you're in the mountains. Mid you're in Florida?  Must be similar. You would think that Georgia would be warmer, since its right next to Florida, but its 28 degrees right now. I do miss California's weather, but not much else.

3 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

It doesn't sound all that different than southern California. I do miss California's weather, but not much else.

Yep. Family and weather. Oh, and golf. Last round of the year yesterday. 

20171229_121101.thumb.jpg.35788ddda1394785f81890f367137487.jpg

Good question!

I have another one: why is the Australian woman on my Garmin so demanding, even with that beautiful accent?  It's always "turn here" or "you dummy...recalculating" or "slow down!"  Furthermore, when I talk to her, she says nothing.  It's just like being married...

Our major school holiday go from the start of December until the end of January, and every year after these holidays we go into the next grade at school. our school year is broken up into 4 term. we will have 10 weeks and then a 2 week break, that will repeat 4 times but on the last time the holiday in 6-7 weeks and that is when we have Christmas and new years. 

This reply about school was written by my 14 yo daughter, she's is the expert.

Mid, about the Aussie women and and also on Garmin, you get used to them ,they are pretty good really.

We are about 4 mins away from the beach, but it's beer o'clock here now 1.30 Sunday arvo (afternoon) here now.

We back on to a national park so we have lots of native animals around.

Here’s Christmas to us in France. Every year, everyone is hoping for a white Christmas. I wouldn’t miss it for anything in the world.

It must be very weird down under. Like in Cape Town I guess.

Christmas in NW FL (a.k.a the Panhandle) is fairly brisk. North winds make for chilly nights, sometimes below zero Celsius (lower 30’s).

G

D395CE14-83DA-4F2A-B9C9-FEB607BC25A6.jpeg

Happy New Year everyone.Its 1.35am just celebrating the beginning of the New Year here in Rockhampton Central Queensland (Tropic of Capricorn) Australia. Air Conditioner is the closest thing to snow we get here ,it has been 41deg C = 105 Deg F today so plenty of fluids consumed. You all have a safe & enjoyable New Years Day .Cheers Phil

20 hours ago, MAC390 said:

Our major school holiday go from the start of December until the end of January, and every year after these holidays we go into the next grade at school. our school year is broken up into 4 term. we will have 10 weeks and then a 2 week break, that will repeat 4 times but on the last time the holiday in 6-7 weeks and that is when we have Christmas and new years. 

This reply about school was written by my 14 yo daughter, she's is the expert.

Mid, about the Aussie women and and also on Garmin, you get used to them ,they are pretty good really.

We are about 4 mins away from the beach, but it's beer o'clock here now 1.30 Sunday arvo (afternoon) here now.

We back on to a national park so we have lots of native animals around.

I always enjoy listening to Aussie women---the accents are the best!  Plus, the few women that I have seen in person have been very beautiful. 

Maybe I should just move south...