Cantedvalve

Mounting coil to driver side cylinder head

I've been looking for an artful was to mount my coil to the front of the driver side cylinder head.  The bolt holes are 7/16, which is too big for the stock style coil bracket. Then I read about Boss 302 having their coils in the same place, and using some sort of adapter plate.  Anyone have a picture of one?  I'm not sure why a plate is needed, particularly if the plate is metal... it will still transfer heat.  What about another material... say the stuff they make carb spacers out of?  Phenolic material?

Darn oil filled vertical only coils...

On my '68, I have mine mounted to the head, similar to the pic that Bob posted. 

The engine is a 1995 roller cam 5.0, with GT 40 heads, using a 1985 Mustang GT Duraspark Box, with a Painless Wiring kit that uses the coil "horseshoe connector" hooked to a MSD Blaster coil.   It seems to be a pretty good location.    On my 1970 351W, I have my coil mounted at the rear of the engine.  I will see how that works....

IMG_1007.JPG

@1969_Mach1  Yeah, but just about anywhere on an engine will have heat and vibration issues won't it?  On the stock intake (351C 2V)the coil is located on the passenger front corner of the intake, horizontally.   Not an option now, so I gotta find something else.

The bolt holes on my cylinder head are 7/16", but I cannot get a 7/16" bolt through the bracket.  I did find some threaded inserts that are 7/16" outside with a 5/16" hole on the inside that would help. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WC8SXU/

I moved mine to the drivers side inner fender in the area where my MSD box is located.  The coil wire is routed along my Monte Carlo bar to the distributor.  They seem to survive mounted to the engine.  Some end up leaking oil when mounted horizontal on the intake.  But heat and vibration are the enemy of electronics.  Old school thought was always to remount the coil away from the engine.

Try McMaster Car if you are looking for some type of thread inserts.