tonyinsandiego

Heater lines tight bend from firewall Pics please

Hi guys,

I have a 69 Mach 1 with a 351C and my heater lines from the fire wall are close to the head they'll kink if I install them.  I'm pretty sure I'd drive the car more with a heater in the winter so I'm wondering how you guys get the heater hose connected without kinks?  Can you guys send some pics of your set up and let me know what you guys did to get around this.

Thanks guys,

Much appreciated.  I'll post pics of my clearance issue when I get a chance.

If I recall correctly the valve shuts the flow of water to the heater core when the AC is on so it can cool better. It has a vacuum connection to activate it.

Or maybe it opens the valve when the heater is on. I can't really remember which.

DON'T USE STRAIGHT KINKED HOSE YOU'LL REGRET IT.

When the heater core was replaced on my 69 351w with factory air we used this one instead of waiting for a repro. You might as well replace the heater bypass valve while your doing it. I think CJ's & many others have repros also.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/gates-3728/belts-hoses-16454/radiator-hose-16540/bypass-hose-11354/gates-bypass-hose/20662/4327335/1969/ford/mustang

Here's some more.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/belts-hoses-16454/radiator-hose-16540/bypass-hose-11354/1969/ford/mustang

Along with the heater hose mentioned by Shep69 above with the 90Deg bend, you also need this special double 90Deg "S" bend hose:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_heater_hose_concours_two_90_degree-103054-460.html

... it goes between the inner heater core connection to the vacuum controlled water valve.

Then the 90Deg bend end on the heater hose goes to outer heater core connection as you can see in the pics. 

Here are pics on my 351W which pretty much follow factory routing ...

Heater Hose Routing 1.JPG

Heater Hose Routing 2.JPG

Heater Hose Routing 3.JPG

Here's what you get when you buy the red-stripe heater hose WITHOUT the pre-bent end ... yes I bought this first before I realized the 90Deg bent end type hose existed.   Funny thing is, the standard auto parts hose that I had on the car before was a lot more flexible that I could get it to bend up and around valve cover without kinking.

Found 2 pics with my auto parts store heater hose and you can see I had the special double 90 "S" bend hose then too ... think I actually bought it from a Ford dealer in the late 80's.

HH Routing (str hose) 1.JPG

S Heater Hose 1.JPG

S Heater Hose 2.JPG

Edited by stangs-R-me
added pics

One more suggestion.  Those vacuum control valves on the water lines always leak hot water past them. You want to keep hot water out of the inside when you are running the AC.  I put a hard shutoff plumbing valve in mine, and shut the hot water off solid in the summer.  Other months I leave it controlled by the vacuum control valve.   Just a suggestion in case you want your AC to cool the car easier.