redmastercraft

Fitting TKO600 in 70 Mach

I know this has been done many times but I'm finding conflicting information in all the research I've done.  Is it necessary to have a streamlined case to get the driveline angle correct without cutting the tunnel?  I understand the brace will need to be notched but is that it to get the room needed to raise the tail.   I would like to retain the stock console.  This is a 351c car.  

It is an original shaker car and I have the shaker but i'm not planning on using it.  I'm planning on going the CHI 3V route and using their intake puts the carb way too high for the shaker.  I read your shaker journey and It looks great by i'm not ready to do that much fab work..  I think i'll end up with the Boss 429 scope to make it work.

Good to know it is possible. 

Thanks for the help

I installed a tko 600 behind a 302 in my 69 fastback and couldn't get the rear of the tranny up high enough for good driveline angles. So I ordered the new streamlined case covers and have to remove the trans to install them. I also have to mill down a portion of one of the towers where the covers go. Pain in the butt. Tons of room on the drivers side but the edge of the cover hits the tunnel crossmember reinforcement. And i'm not one to cut my car up so...more work..but worthwhile.

I'd order the streamlined case if I were you. Can't go wrong.

John

9 hours ago, Rcodenewf said:

I installed a tko 600 behind a 302 in my 69 fastback and couldn't get the rear of the tranny up high enough for good driveline angles. So I ordered the new streamlined case covers and have to remove the trans to install them. I also have to mill down a portion of one of the towers where the covers go. Pain in the butt. Tons of room on the drivers side but the edge of the cover hits the tunnel crossmember reinforcement. And i'm not one to cut my car up so...more work..but worthwhile.

I'd order the streamlined case if I were you. Can't go wrong.

John

Can you provide a link to these case covers? I'm curious.......

Thanks!

I installed a Keisler perfectfit TKO in my 70 Mach1, with 351w shaker.  They sold out to super sport trans. I believe the trans case is a standard TKO.  Notched the cross member with zero ill effects. No other tunnel mods.  The shifter was in the correct location. Its been installed since 2009 and no issues with the driveshaft angle.  Here is the basic kit i installed.  https://shiftsst.com/articles/cat/ford/post/mustang-cougar-1964-1970-perfectfit-kit/