1969_Mach1

351W Distributors

Does anybody here use a Duraspark distributor on a 351W?  I like to use 14" diameter air cleaners and my MSD distributor constantly causes problems because it is much taller than a stock distributor.  I was hoping someone here might have a rough dimension from the top of the cap to where the distributor mounts on the block with a stock Duraspark distributor.  I'd like to find out if it's much shorter than the MSD I have.  I have an MSD Pro Billet distributor, but I think it is taller than stock.

I have a Pertronix III plug and play distributor on my 351 Windsor with a small cap and it is pretty much the same size as stock.  

I have a "blue plug" Duraspark on my roller cam 5.0 in my '68, sourced from a 1985 Mustang GT, with a huge air cleaner. No clearance issues there.    

Found a pic of a 351W with Duraspark on line.  Tight fit.  

dd87ed19.jpg

Thanks.  Hard to determine from the pictures.  But judging from the carb air cleaner and stock intake manifold combo shown, that stock Duraspark distributor looks lower than my MSD Pro Billet distributor.  I might order one from Summit and an Accel spring kit to recurve it.  Worse case is it doesn't help me any and I loose shipping costs to return it.  It's difficult to get an air cleaner to go over top of the MSD dist cap and still fit under the hood with my setup.

My plan is to connect the Duraspark disrtributor to my MSD 6ALN ignition box.  I've done in in the past.  Works fine.  MSD distributors use the same magnetic pick up assembly as the Ford Duraspark distributors.  I used to have a Duraspark distributor for a 351W.  I don't know wheat I did with it.  I think sold it with a Ford Racing Extra Performance Ignition System I had.  Ford Racing no longer sells that ignition system.

The 351W distributors are different than the 302 distributors.  The 351W distributors use a larger diameter shaft.  Thanks for all the information.  I think I'll order one from Summit Racing.  That way if it doesn't help with air cleaner clearance it's very easy to return.  I won't have to explain to somebody at a parts counter why it won't work.  

1 hour ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

The 351W distributors are different than the 302 distributors.  The 351W distributors use a larger diameter shaft.  Thanks for all the information.  I think I'll order one from Summit Racing.  That way if it doesn't help with air cleaner clearance it's very easy to return.  I won't have to explain to somebody at a parts counter why it won't work.  

Let us know if it works out, and what ya got please.