TexasEd

Which Fan Shroud do I need?

I had a flex fan on my car, buddy recommended replacing it so I ordered what I thought I needed, this Scott Drake fan from CJ Pony, https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-engine-fan-blade-6-blade-17-inch-v8/p/FAN12/ C6ZZ-8600-C, 

Seems the fan shroud I have is too small.  Old Flex fan was 17" and opening of the shroud is about 18.25 but I can't get the shroud over the fan with the fan installed.

My original shroud is part C9ZE-8146C.

I still have the original 18" radiator setup.  Any thoughts?  Is there a trick to getting the shroud on there?

Here is the recommended setup for a fan and shroud. The fan should fit with 50% of the fan in the shroud.

Clearances-209x300.jpg

I have scraped up my knuckles more than once installing the fan to the water pump with the shroud in place. You have to put the bolts on the fan, any spacers on the bolts and slip it carefully between the pump and the radiator. Then using an open end or ratchet wrench, tighten the bolts.

So take the fan back off and put the shroud on first?

With the old flex fan I could flex the fan enough to put the shroud on after the fan but not with this fixed blade fan.

I have a solid 3" spacer.

Give that a try. I've had to do it. Again, be careful not to hit the radiator with the fan, bolts, wrenches or your hand. It helps to have the belt(s) off the water pump so you can rotate it to get to the fan bolts, but a pain if the pully misaligns with the water pump shaft.

If the shroud has an 18.25" diameter opening and the fan is 17" diameter, then the only reason is would not fit is because the shroud is not centered with the water pump.  You might need to further slot the shroud mounting in the radiator down or up to get better shroud alignment.  Also, make certain the motor mounts are correct and in good condition so you know the motor is sitting in the correct position. 

That fan from CJ Pony parts is simply a Derale or Flex-A-Lite brand 6-blade rigid fan.  It is not an OEM reproduction fan.

Yes, Flex fans do not work very well at all.  But, a better selection would be to change over to a clutch fan setup.  I've used a rigid fan once when I was much younger on a Dodge Challenger.  It was very noisy and you feel a considerable loss in power when driving. 

The fan is centered the same as the old flex fan.  Thanks for the advice on the power drain and noise vs clutch.  I'll run with this for a while and see about switching it out eventually.

Yes, the original fan on a 1969 351W with A/C was a flex fan.  They moved more air than todays aftermarket flex fans.  But, they had aluminum blades which were extremely prone to breaking, thus, very few are remaining today.  Back in the early 1980's my older brother's 69 Mach 1, 351W car had one of those.  He drove it several years with a piece broke off of one of the blades.  Fortunately it only ruined the fan shroud when it broke off.  Unless somebody wants a concourse correct restoration I wouldn't advise using one today.

Looking at your build thread I see your car has A/C.   Definitely not factory A/C though as the hose routing etc. is different.

Factory A/C cars all came with the HD 24" Radiator and Clutch type fan.   If the A/C is functional or you plan on making it functional again you may want to consider upgrading from the small 20" radiator set up you've currently got in the future ... especially since you are in TEXAS !!

Of course my 'Clutch Fan" statement above is contradicting the two prior posts, so we'll have to look in the Osborne Assembly Manual to see what that says !!

Doug

1969 Mustangs with a 351W and A/C came with a 5 blade flex fan and a 24" wide radiator.  As I mentioned previously, these flex fans had aluminum bladed are were prone to breaking.  The same car without A/C had a 20" wide radiator and a rigid 4 blade fan.  1969 Cougars and I think Shelby's with a 351W and A/C got clutch fans and a 24" wide radiator.  Make no sense other than Ford wanted to save every penny they could with Mustangs.

Great information, guys, thanks for sharing.

I have a longer term goal of replacing the 302 with a stroked 351W.  I am not going to run the AC in the car now.  The compressor is mounted but the belt is not connected.   I will eventually replace that original radiator with a cross flow radiator in a larger size.