TexasEd

trick to installing new gas tank and filler neck?

I ordered some 3M strip caulk and got my new gas tank installed in my 69 sportroof.  When looking at the combination of the new filler neck and rubber connecting tube there seems to be a 2" gap between the neck and gas tank but about 6" of connector hose.  From what I remember there was about that much but maybe a little less.

How long should that hose be?

I also read something that the filler neck and tank need to be grounded together?  they are both connected to the body but do I need a wire between them?

Thanks

The neck on mine does not have a ground wire and I don't think it ever did.  I have a tanks inc. tank on mine and did however ground the tank,sending unit and pump flange just to be sure it has a good ground for the pump and sender unit operation.

The hose and neck connection on mine was modified so I won't be any help there.

If you put in the larger (higher capacity) tank you may have moved the filler neck on the tank up, closer to the filler tube. On my 69 Mach/Shelby, the rubber filler tube is 6 1/2". 

Your filler neck would be grounded by the screws into the rear panel and the tank by the screws into the trunk floor making them connected together.

I used the stock sized tank to keep the floor flat.  

Thanks for an answers on the grounding.

I think I'll shove the whole rubber tube on the neck even though I could get away with cutting it down to 4".

Thanks, that shows using the whole length of the hose I have.  I think my new spout and old are the same length.  I'll check but I know the new one will go to within 2" of the gas tank.

I think the new hose I bought from NPD is shorter. Just can't find it right now to compare. Vaseline should work fine. Just use a little so that it does not make it too easy to pull off. In the event of being hit in the rear, you don't want to make it too easy for the filler to come off and spill gas all over the back of the car.