Rcodenewf

70 convert coil spring question

Posted this over on VFM as well...for suggestions.

Just got the convert back from the paint shop and getting ready to assemble. I have all front end parts except for the coil springs.
This is a 351C car with non air, 2v carb, original cast intake and FMX.

I see MOOG makes two sets: Part number 8234...283lbs/inch ..has a free height of 16.31 and a load of 1668 lbs.
Part number 8534 is 428lbs/in...free height 14.69 and a load of 1578.

What's the general consensus as far as springs go for this year of stang with the above equipment?

This car is to ride as close to the factory without the stiffness of a road/track suspension.

Just looking for ideas and a consensus...thanks...John

rcodenewf is online now Report Post  

Go look at the NPD catalog.  They use the old Detroit Spring (Eaton) for their springs.  They have the original prints, and use original style materials. There is a pretty good list in their catalog on the variety of options available for the front springs.   

I have also used the aftermarket Grab-A-Track spring package on earlier generation Mustangs with good results.  

I have a '70 Convertible that had original factory air and a 302, so in my pile of stuff,  I have a detailed breakdown somewhere in my reference material on the exact spring used for your car.  

Hi John,  based on the information I have, You’re Moog choice looks good  from the load rating perspective. You should check to see what the free length of the spring is however. The application chart I’ve included shows your correct spring is a 4F,  with a load rating of 1580 pounds, and a free length of 16 1/8 inches  

And example of where the load rating could be the same, but the spring is different, it’s with the 4S spring.   This spring was used for the heavy duty suspension, has the same load rating, but the free length is different at 15 inches.   It also has fewer coils which makes sense. What this results in is a car that’s approximately 1 inch lower than stock.   This is what I have done on my car because that’s the look I want, and that’s what came on the high-performance cars.  It may not be what you want so just make sure you have the right free length of spring  in conjunction with your load rating requirement.   Also matched this up with your rear springs so the car sits level.  Hope this helps

C6418492-5AFC-433E-A99F-6C6EF895E2D8.jpeg

80382F08-5C6C-43E1-B708-4515EFBF2DF8.jpeg

58E43DB1-27C7-4B04-9032-1E5D5C18F45D.jpeg

6557D30D-280D-4AD3-ACEE-E0CAE35FB00C.jpeg

4879824D-D034-4FDB-83B2-56E5A99EB2D3.jpeg

Hi John.  I've had this book for probably 20 years, and I went back through it one day and realized how much information it had that was useful.  Lots of information.  Highly recommend it for the data, facts, and figures.

Mustang Handbook.jpg

John, I would also appreciate any pics of your convertible during your restoration, or if you have a project site on the forum, let me know and I will follow it.  Mine is on this site... "1970 Convertible"...   There are so few convertibles out there, look forward to sharing ideas, progress, lessons learned, etc..

Regards,

Vic