RPM

Louvers on a Shaker Hood? Sacrilege, Felony or Cool?

Ok, there is some cosmic connection between Flamingo's and louvered hoods.  Check out the car the girl is driving and look at the hood......

Holy Jaguar Batman!   Louvers?!?!?  Flamingo??

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

The chorus says it all RPM

Ain't that the truth Jim. In addition to the love here, my 3 brothers and nephew hammered me petty hard. 

I need to follow up with the moderators on my request to lock this thread :)

No need for it I guess. Only heard from them about it for 3 days :) One of them did offer this advice:

"I would do an overdrive tranny swap before I did a second hood. How big a deal is an A4OD swaperino?"

I'm thinking he meant AOD or AODE. If I use my 4.11 ratio 9 inch gears, that'll make a 2.75 final ratio with the AOD's .667 OD gear. Hmm... what to do?

On 12/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, rwcstang said:

what about using the 2013-14 vents? it would definitely look more appropriate if you're trying to go for that pro-touring clean look. 

Those vents remind me of a DIY home depot mod lol.

I actually started looking at the late model vents but decided they were too modern for my liking. The more I checked out old school louvers the more I liked them. I figured a 5" wide lover would match the late 60's GT 350's louver width. 

Home Depot diy mod? Got a bit irked until I googled house louvers. Yikes! Damn near match mine, uh oh.

On 12/16/2017 at 11:24 PM, RPM said:

I actually started looking at the late model vents but decided they were too modern for my liking. The more I checked out old school louvers the more I liked them. I figured a 5" wide lover would match the late 60's GT 350's louver width. 

Home Depot diy mod? Got a bit irked until I googled house louvers. Yikes! Damn near match mine, uh oh.

yeah, didn't know what to compare it too but that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

I actually found a photo of a 69 hardtop with modern vents doesn't look that bad.. but then again I like the new modern look on our classics. 

IMG_0106.JPG

20180102_194308.thumb.png.7029cf8511e5458b4a126e76f230a7fa.png

There, it's locked :) Heck, I thought this thread was dead.

If I locate a nice Henry steel hood, I just might add a couple of rows of 3" louvers. The hood frame would have to be modified quite a bit as the only single layer of metal is at the scoop. I think there's place in Bako that punches louvers. 

5a4c54d06fa97_322angledlouvers.jpg.090f2cb7ff07e2cda28b1cdd3ad225dd.jpg

Damn, just opened a new can of worms. 

MidLife, where art thou?

One idea to end this thread would be to go with the machine gun louvers..... (not legal for sale or use in Kalifornia)

Maybe our Aussie friends can get us some from the MadMax junkyard.....

mad-max-cover2.jpg

skyline-drive-in.jpg

mad-max-photo-shoot7.jpg