RPM

Louvers on a Shaker Hood? Sacrilege, Felony or Cool?

I've been toying with this idea since Ridge Runner started making his fiberglass hood with the NACA ducts. I thought it would serve a purpose of removing air from the engine compartment and have the cool factor of louvers. If I didn't have a shaker hood I'd have already added them.

Louvers.thumb.jpg.43ef3843a47b89d7e5047ef65a2ea369.jpg

Now I only paid $25 for the hood, and I know it's mine to do with as I please, but I'd like to get some input from all y'all as I do respect the talent on this forum. 

The hood and cowl will have the dull Mach 1 black paint. If I add louvers I'm leaning towards attaching the panels with rivets or screws for a more rustic look. Kinda like this. 

5a2a30efd8af6_1a1hoodlouver.jpg.6e6a96213a0aac26254a3140fcdf9870.jpg

So what do you guys think about cutting a shaker hood for louvers? Flame away!

20171207_215028.thumb.jpg.f7004ecc23ed448496e661fea03619aa.jpg20171207_215005.thumb.jpg.f6efb47ba936e64659234f48b1bc8dea.jpg

1 a1 hood louver.jpg

Just my opinion, but with the shaker, black out and the pins, I feel that would be enough. I think the louvers would make it too busy. Rivets or screws would look out of place if there were nothing else on the car like that, would make the louvers look more like an afterthought bolt on.

10 hours ago, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

Rivets or screws would look out of place if there were nothing else on the car like that, would make the louvers look more like an afterthought bolt on.

is my Mach 1 the only one with screws on the hood pin plates?

5a2ad57c8fff4_hoodpinplates.thumb.jpg.57c87ac59cc4f83a1d530623a3f9b40f.jpg

I was referring to the screws/rivets on the louvers, the part that you did not make bold.

4 screws on the hood pin plates are nice, 8 or 10 would not be. :-)  But if your worried, try some 3M body panel tape.

I'd also not think that adding visible screws/rivets to the shaker trim ring would look nice.

But as I said before, that is just my opinion. Do what you want with your car and I will do the same with mine.

I agree with Brian, I think they would look better on a plain hood without the scoop. BWDIK?

I've also read that the reason Chebby didn't make the louvers functional on the '63 Corvette was because they discovered that the same air got sucked into your cowl vents and you ended up with a cabin full of hot stinky, engine compartment air instead of the nice fresh air you wanted. Don't know if that's true or not but they dropped the louvers altogether in 1964, so...

i think the picture makes it look busier because of the color contrasts. If everything was painted in the satin black, then i think it would look much cleaner. I think it's a great idea. If you do it, drive it for a while and hate it, then you're only out $25 and the labor/paint costs. I could go either way on the rivets. I would lean more towards rivets on a non shaker hood and without on a shaker to reduce the amount of "thing" going on. 

so..to answer the question...cool!

ive wanted to louver my hood for a long time but fear of it looking trashy and im screwed. but with this new sportroof i picked up, the hood is in need of attention anyways. there are two spaces in between the bracing that i think sit right behind the radiator that im thinking about cutting to make heat extractors. nothing big or gauty but i think it would help. 

im with others that with you hood finished the way it is, it would look a lot better if it was welded in and pained. 

14 hours ago, bryonbush said:

ive wanted to louver my hood for a long time but fear of it looking trashy and im screwed. but with this new sportroof i picked up, the hood is in need of attention anyways. there are two spaces in between the bracing that i think sit right behind the radiator that im thinking about cutting to make heat extractors. nothing big or gauty but i think it would help.  

Ya, the hood frame really limits the location of heat extractors and louvers unless you remove it to stamp the louvers and/or modify the frame. 

Once I "finish" the car, I just might get a second plain hood to play with the louver idea. Then I could then switch out the hoods depending on my mood of the day. 

I kinda thought there would be more outcry over cutting the original shaker hood than the clutter/ busy/Pep Boys look. But I've had several concussions,  so...

The only way to make it work as I see it is with pink flamingos decals.

Lots of them!

Only kidding.......

The oem shaker hood police are on there way don't you think there not!!

Like a swat team....You can look out the window but you wont see them..

2 hours ago, ray1970 said:

The only way to make it work as I see it is with pink flamingos decals.

Lots of them!

Only kidding.......

The oem shaker hood police are on there way don't you think there not!!

Like a swat team....You can look out the window but you wont see them..

What's wrong with pink flamingos?????