Mach1 Driver

Stinky gas smell

In 1970 Ford started using charcoal canisters on cars sold in California. In 1971 they improved the system and put it on all cars. Initially it just worked on the fuel tank vent. As regulations became more stringent they had to pull vapor from the carb bowl vents as well. I'm not sure when this occurred, but as late as 1973 they still hadn't made any connections to the carb vents. My car is in good repair and I don't have any leaks, but if you run the car it will stink-up the garage for at least a week, and then it stops. Since nothing is changing with the fuel tank vent I have to assume the stink continues until the gas in the carb bowl evaporates.

So that got me thinking about all you guys with EFI- do your cars stink-up the garage? The major contributor (the carburetor) has been eliminated. All that's left is the tank, and since it doesn't get that hot and the fuel is well contained, it shouldn't stink- at least mine doesn't. I'd appreciate hearing from you guys.

Hi Terry

As you may remember I put the FiTech on my car and the Tanks Inc. tank with a two way valve on the vent that will allow air in if there is a slight vacuum or will let air out if on slight pressure.  I silver soldered the notch up on the OEM neck flange. Never had a fuel odor in the garage.  Now if that valve ever burped while in the garage for some reason I am sure you would smell fuel. 

an EFI fuel tank can get warm/hot (assuming a return system). 

I'm still running a carb but do have an electric pump.  I shut the pump off when i'm getting close to home to try and reduce the amount of fuel left to sit and evaporate out of the bowls.

Dave, did your car run before your restoration? When it still had a carburetor I mean, and if so do you remember any smell then? I'm just going for a comparison.

Buckeye, I see your point about the return line and that the fuel will have been heated by its proximity to the engine. I got the impression from one post that this particular guy didn't get a lot of return fuel. He hadn't run a return, just a dump line, and discovered it was dumping some amount of fuel, so then he decided to get a command center. I know- most of us wouldn't have gone down that path to begin with (I had visions of a flaming wreck). So I assume you still get some smell or you wouldn't go to the trouble of shutting the pump off before you get home. How long does it usually last?

I had noticed the fuel in the bowls wasn't visible  when looking into the glass sites after a period of time.  I had assumed it was evaporating out.  Likely at a much higher rate after driving due to heat soak, then tapering from there.  Fuel smell wasn't something that I used to pay much attention to because it wasn't noticable after an evening or so.  And that smell is probably more just the carbon monoxide from pulling into the garage.

7 hours ago, det0326 said:

No Terry it did not run when it was carbureted and I never even tried to get  it running.

Well I'm glad to hear that EFI solves another problem. My car will be very similar to yours- same tank and vent valve. How is the FiTech working out? After some people complained of loud injectors I started investigating the Holly Sniper. I haven't decided yet, but they have a good bulletin board with good tech support that answered all the questions I threw at them. I got different answers from different techs at Fitech on one occasion and that annoyed me.

16 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Well I'm glad to hear that EFI solves another problem. My car will be very similar to yours- same tank and vent valve. How is the FiTech working out? After some people complained of loud injectors I started investigating the Holly Sniper. I haven't decided yet, but they have a good bulletin board with good tech support that answered all the questions I threw at them. I got different answers from different techs at Fitech on one occasion and that annoyed me.

Haven't heard any injectors when running just the initial prime but of course I don;t here as well as I did when younger.  Lot of cheaper alternatives out there now, if FiTech did nothing else they sure good others to get there prices down.  My son has been researching a unit to put on his 65 Chevy and sent me a few links to different ones and out of the bunch there was two I really liked. Edelbrock and MSD, the Edelbrock had more wire harnesses to hide but I like the fact that the ECU was separate from the TB which equals no heat to the computer.  The MSD had the ECU mounted to the TB but it has a  separate power module to handle big current such as fuel pump and  cooling fans. The Edelbrock I think was on sell at Summit for under $1k  and it was around $2500 before FiTech came on board. If you don't need  it now i would think around the holidays you could get a better deal. I would check them all out. 

Oh and BTW if you get the Tanks inc. tank I would recommend not using the walbro pump. Don't know if it is just mine but it is loud. Don;t know if you can buy just the pump mounting bracket or not but I would try and then use the aeromotive pump. https://www.amazon.com/Aeromotive-11540-Fuel-Stealth-Tank/dp/B019K9I198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512838313&sr=8-1&keywords=aeromotive+340

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Thanks for the info Dave, I see the Aeromotive pump puts out 340 lph, vrs. only 255 for Tank Inc's Walbro. Looks like a good choice.

I have been kicking around the idea of an OEM pump like the late to mid 90 F and E  series fuel pump.  From the pic it looks like it may work but would have to physically measure to be sure. Never heard an OEM may to much noise.  They're also cheaper.