69volunteer

Shelby Racing Modifications

I believe there is a 'book' or pamphlet that I think Shelby put together that detailed racing modifications for his race cars. The shelby drop on the upper control arm I believe is detailed in this pamphlet along with other 'racing' modifications.

Does anyone know what I am referring to? I tried a google search but must not be using the right terms.

5a2869713ede7_ShelbyGT3501.thumb.JPG.140a1baf35d9637226c4914059564779.JPGThen to have the mods explained and detailed in book form would also be nice.  I for one have not seen such a booklet.  The closest I have come are these graphics that are scattered about.  This one is for the 66 GT 350.  Check out the ' Shelby Drop ' description.  Brian 

19 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Shelby seems to get the credit but a Ford Engineer, Arning, discovered the improvement from doing that.

Klaus Arning was quite the engineer. He also designed the IRS for the early Mustang, and certainly doesn't get enough credit.

Agreed Ford Engineer Arning does not get the credits due.  This article, 3rd paragraph. mentions some of his other contributions.   A booklet enumerating the Shelby mods for each year along with the spec's would make for an interesting read.  Brian

Arning-Shelby Drop Pg. 1.jpg

Thanks guys. The Chassis Modification book is what I was thinking of. 

Brian the pic you posted of the 66 GT 350...is that off of another book?

I knew the Arning name and should have googled it first.

What about engine modifications?

1 hour ago, 69volunteer said:

Thanks guys. The Chassis Modification book is what I was thinking of. 

Brian the pic you posted of the 66 GT 350...is that off of another book?

I knew the Arning name and should have googled it first.

What about engine modifications?

I got that poster at a swap meet.  So don't really know the particulars.  Sorry.  Brian

I have the book that RPM has, as well as an old Ford High Performance suspension/parts catalog.

On my 1970 for the front suspension, I did the 1" drop, shock tower wrap, and "dogbone" reinforcement plates on the outside.  Mike (Lato Racing) who is our resident fabrication genius here did the metal work and made the shock tower wrap plates and drilled the lowering holes.   got the dogbone plates from West Coast Cougar....  At least one of my shock towers was cracked, and this was on a stock convertible with a 302 2 barrel and automatic.

shock tower plate.jpg

3 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

I have the book that RPM has, as well as an old Ford High Performance suspension/parts catalog.

On my 1970 for the front suspension, I did the 1" drop, shock tower wrap, and "dogbone" reinforcement plates on the outside.  Mike (Lato Racing) who is our resident fabrication genius here did the metal work and made the shock tower wrap plates and drilled the lowering holes.   

Vic, I've seen yours and Mike's cars in person and can confirm your appraisal of Mike's talent. Top shelf work. 

I don't know the background on this document, but here's another one that also references the '69-70 roadracing modifications, very similar to those described in the Ford-released Boss 302 Chassis manual referenced above, but is one that references Shelby specifically.  One thing to note, though, is that the actual '69 Shelby Trans-Am racecars had very little in common with the modifications described in the Chassis Book or this Shelby doc.  Those cars had many more special parts, body alterations, revised suspension geometry and rear Watts links instead of panhard bars, etc.  Nonetheless, another cool reference...

http://www.shelbytransam.com/walt/ShelbyTA/1970_TA_Mustang_Suspension.pdf