bryonbush

New fastback

Picked up this 69 yesterday. Typical rust in spots from a car that's been in a barn for 20+ years. Had a 302 w 3 speed manual and 9" rear. Non PS&PB. Guy bought it from original owners son, cleaned it up, then burned up the rear end doing burnouts. He pulled the motor and never did anything with it. I really would like to make a trans am themed car out of this.

20171203_153217.jpg

20171203_153201.jpg

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Very nice score! That Love's could be one of many I filled up at driving thru Texas. Where'd you find her?

So long story. I met a guy out of our Amarillo office who is a huge ford fan. he has a bronco,mercury commit, fairlane 500 and a few fox bodies then this. He got it a few years ago from the son of the original owner. the original owner let it sit for around 20 years then his son decided to work on it. He pulled the motor and rebuilt it but put the rings in wrong so it had no compression. then it sat for a few more years before being bought and moved to Amarillo. 

7 hours ago, 69volunteer said:

Red/Black Parnelli or Blue Revson/Moore?

I love that idea. There was a guy on here a while back that was race prepping one for SVRA.

Im not sure exactly how i want to go about it. I want a road legal track car. they have a good amount of auto cross events here but a few times i'd like to go to some of the road courses out there. I really like the idea of smashing a coyote in there as they are getting cheaper to find. keep the stock suspension but upgrade it.... you know how this goes. but im not too worried about making it class specific as i dont plan on ever going that route. 

4 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

You'll have to start a build thread. 

That's the goal.

i havent had a chance to take pics of the car or even really go over it too well. it was a last minute offer that was too good to pass up.  the engine was included but it was out of the car. all the weather seals are bad. the back right side was bumped/backed into at some point right behind the bumper as it's crinkled. both doors have to be re skinned at minimum. nose of the hood took a bump at some point. Im thinking this weekend ill pull the seats and carpet out to see how the floors look. ill probably be replacing the lower quarter on the driver's side as there were rust issues from not being able to drain. 

ive never replaced any type of metal flooring or skins so this will be a learning experience. down side is right now its in a storage unit with no power so im very limited on what i can do. until i get my house built. 

Hmm...guess I wasn't looking on the right spot when I stopped for the night in Amarillo. 

With all the you tube videos on panel replacements I'm sure you'll get educated and do just fine. 

14 hours ago, JET 445 said:

Looks like a perfect blank canvas to build whatever you want, but I see it has a few Mach 1 features, might be a good idea to get a Marti report and see exactly what you have got.

This might seem odd but is there a faster way to see if it's anything special before I go to a Marti report?

When you pull the carpet and seats you may get lucky and find a build sheet.  So be careful when lifting the carpet the build sheet paper is fragile.  Sometimes found stuck in the bottom of the front seat springs or under the carpet it will provide a bunch of info.  Brian

2 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

I don't think Ford offered the 302-2V in the GT. Still a good idea to find out what it is before making any plans, IMHO.

My 1969 Mustang Facts Book says the GT Equipment Group is n/a with 302 cid V8. So is a Marti report the only way to tell if you have a GT or Grabber?

My car is the same, 302-2v, C4, and 2.73 rear but with Dark Red vinyl interior and candyapple red exterior.  

My dad bought it from the original owner in 1985 so it is still mostly original.  The only options were dealer installed AC and a hood scoop.

I have all the original stuff so I am keeping it that way since I don't have the money to modify the way I want.  

I definitely think that these base 302 cars are the ones that you should modify if you want to.

11 hours ago, RPM said:

My 1969 Mustang Facts Book says the GT Equipment Group is n/a with 302 cid V8. So is a Marti report the only way to tell if you have a GT or Grabber?

I had a 69 GT with a 351w 4bbl 4 speed. That package came with the hood pins, hood scoop, sport mirrors, GT gas cap, GT hubcaps, white triple strips above the rockers, and the chrome strips at the rocker. I might have known at one time the engine options, but things like that slip my mind these days. So if the 302 rules out the GT option, I wonder what package gave this one the pins, scoop, sport mirrors and rocker trim?

Marti might be the way to go if you really want to know.

I'd guess that someone just added the Hood Pins as they were only available from the factory on Mach 1 & GT.  

As far as the hood scoop, could have also been added later or maybe the whole pinned & scooped hood is a transplant from a Mach or GT.   The engine badges (351, 390, or 428 that would have been on a Mach / GT scoop) are gone, so look inside to see if you can see the remnants of the mounting holes that would have been there for the badges.    

If the hood scoop wiring harness is there (goes up to the turn signals under the bumper) the hood scoop could be original, as the Sports Appearance Group option (included the scoop) was available from the factory on 302 equipped cars.   Sports Appearance equipped cars DID NOT have engine displacement badges on the side of the scoop so if back sides of scoop don't show any hints of holes filled in then this would be another indicator of the scoop being original.

Doug

I can post up my marti report when I get home so you can see where the grabber package is annotated. when I purchased mine many years ago, it had a severe identity crisis (Mach 1 mixed with Boss 302 stuff) so who knows what was original or not. What it did have was the sport mirror, hood pins, hood scoop w/ signals, and a 302 2v with C4.

I honestly don't know whats original on this car or not. the hood pin plate on the hood was screwed in with common headed screws. the holes through the hood look pretty rough but its straight metal with no filler. I didn't see anything that indicated that it was a special build buy any markings or emblems inside or out of the car. The hood scoop didn't show to have wires running to it but it looks like there were turn signals in the scoop. But to be honest, ive never seen an actual working set of those in person, so maybe they were fakes.

right now im in the middle of a transitional period with work changes for the wife and figuring out living arrangements other than this apartment. So until that stuff gets figured out, very little will be accomplished on the car unfortunately.

IIRC, my marti stated exactly what came with the grabber package...i.e. sport mirrors, etc... I was headed down the same path you were in wanting to do a trans am tribute car, especially since I just had a plain jane sportsroof. But then I did the marti report and found out it was a grabber special, so I rolled with that during my build. give me a couple of hours and i'll post up.

Chances are it's a plain vanilla sportsroof but it never hurts to find out. The 302-3spd, Meadowlark paint, and standard interior all point to that. The scoop and hood pins were probably special ordered or more likely added by a PO.  I once had a woodgrain Mach I dash and console in my vert that I salvaged from a junkyard.