Cantedvalve

Replace the burlap? Modern equivalents?

So my upholstery is (was) all original... and in some ways it showed.  The driver seat was split in the middle like so many seem to do.  There are "cargo" tears in the rear seat where I carried something too heavy for the vinyl.  So I am going about reupholstering.  I started with the driver seat.  I have the vinyl and foam off (I bet there was a pound of hog rings in there), but the burlap looks to be in pretty good condition - no tears at all.  Is this one of those "replace it while its apart even though it doesn't appear to need it" situations, or should I just use what I have?  And are there any modern equivalents?  If I need to replace it, I just don't see why I wouldn't use something better than burlap.

The new foam I used had the burlap made to the back sided/bottom but I also used new burlap on it anyway. If you'er not going to use new foam I would recommend it, to just be sure to get rid of any old car smell. Most any fabric shop would probably have burlap. Hobby Lobby which is a craft type store is where I got mine and was a good quality. 

Right, but what did you do with those little wires running through it?  Not the big thick ones... the tiny hair like wires?  Are those just for installation ease or are they important?

I am doing new cushions and vinyl on the fronts, and vinyl only on the backs.  My foams are from Dashes Direct (via California Mustang), while the vinyl is from Distinctive.

I reused the burlap since it was in really good shape.  I also reused most of the wires, some I replaced with duplicates I made from shirt hangers about the same OD.   I used a heat gun and took my time to stretch my white strip on TMI black Sport R covers so they fit w/o wrinkles.  Have fun.      

19 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

Right, but what did you do with those little wires running through it?  Not the big thick ones... the tiny hair like wires?  Are those just for installation ease or are they important?

I am doing new cushions and vinyl on the fronts, and vinyl only on the backs.  My foams are from Dashes Direct (via California Mustang), while the vinyl is from Distinctive.

The one set I helped someone with is the same as your using we used the tiny ones to hold the long rods in place so they wouldn't slip possibly going thru the vinyl someday, he bought the small clips from WCCC I think. Do you have an upholstery ring crimping tool it makes securing them much easier. 

I used Cal-Mustangs Distinctive Ind Premium door panels they make quality pricey replacements the only complaint I had was on the lower edge the vinyl glue covered the popouts for the clips took awhile to cut them all out. I haven't seen any repops that come close to their quality without having a custom shop build them.   

I did not use any of the small listing wires on the burlap, I hog ringed it in a few places and around the edges  to keep it in place . Once the foam cushions are in place it isn't going anywhere. 

I had mine professionally done, and the shop stripped them down and sandblasted the frames, them painted them (I think this would be one of the more important steps to at least address and kill any rust in the frames.  They bought new burlap and put that on.  It seems very original that way, and the stuff doesn't wear out or rot (unless it get wet).  If you were going to reuse your burlap, I would consider washing it good before re-install. 

Again tho, if you are down that far, I would address rust on the frames if you can.

IMG_0017.thumb.jpg.b7d0624f049add8f9257a0304f166047.jpgIMG_0006.thumb.jpg.0edfc7d1a775918edb9d70f54cbe1fd1.jpgIMG_0007.thumb.jpg.cb2b22c4e94f690fd1548d629286028b.jpgIMG_0002.thumb.jpg.f3a55ea71ae1b6f63b557cd839f9ad5b.jpgIMG_0003.thumb.jpg.48ad2a150558b54b7208f4e75c19312e.jpg

I replaced the whole upholstery from the frame up in a Deluxe car. TMI vynil all over is great, good fit overall.

Foam is available for the front seats (get the premium foam with listing wires inside, much more manageable). I used plastic poultry fence mesh and non tear weed fabric from HD. It works really well to replace the smelly burlap. All the frames were wirebrushed, rust proofed and painted semi-gloss black.  

I also used a few layers of batting with scrim (cotton / poly) for the corners or to adjust the thickness for the foam. 

The result is quite comfy and looks good.