jgkurz

Full Body Paint - Parts to remove?

Hi all, As you may have seen on another thread I am considering having my car fully painted instead of just a partial. The car currently has all body parts removed from the windshield forward. I wanted to start a new thread to discuss what parts need to be removed to ensure a quality job. I am not looking for a concurs/show paint job, just a proper repaint. I plan on bringing the car to the body shop with all decals removed. It will be ready to sand, prep, and mask. I don't want to pay them to do any disassembly or assembly. This "should" reduce cost a fair bit. The car is very straight, but will likely need some body filler for minor dings and flaws. 

I would prefer NOT to remove the doors, door glass, windshield, rear window, or quarter glass if possible. Is this reasonable? Again, I want a quality paint job, not a concurs/show level. 

Here's my list for items I think I need to remove ahead of time. Did I miss anything? Is this overkill?

PLAN TO REMOVE BEFORE PAINTING

Side scoops
Drip rails
Boomerang molding
Quarter window seal
Door handles
Door locks
Door sill plate
Gas cap assy
Rear spoiler
Rear bumper
Windshield molding
Rear window molding
Wheelwell molding
Door panels
Mirrors
Rubber door seals
Rubber trunk seal
Side marker lights
Roof Side Ornamenta
Tail lights

3 hours ago, Johns Summer of 69 said:

its best to have them take the doors, hood and trunk off the car to paint

As stated above when you remove all the weaterstripping be sure to spend the time to remove the adhesive trust me you'll regret it if you don't (don't ask me how I know).

Bob

On 12/1/2017 at 11:04 PM, JayEstes said:

You should also remove the headlight buckets, and rear quarter extensions for paint.  You will need new seals for them when these are re-installed on the car after final paint.

One trick if the headlamp buckets and end caps fit proper,y already/ don’t need work. Is to remove them and reinstall after adding a few spacer washers in between to gap them from the body.

the less costly paint places don’t like to deal with Parts off of the car, doing this you can have the car painted as one piece without bridging the paint.

then after painted you will remove them, install the new seal and reinstall without the washers