Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Battery Maintenance

I ran my battery dead the other day trying to get my car to start for the first time.  What should I get for charging and maintenance for a car that might sit for a while.  I see some cheap $30 ones that get poor reviews but would like something well regarded but not too expensive.

I've been using a Battery Tender for about 15 years.  Never had any issues.  Leave it on all the time.  Only disconnect when I drive the car or simply run the motor.  I recently replaced my 10 year old Optima battery with another of the same.  The old one was still good and tested fine.  After 10 years I didn't trust it much any more.

All depends on if your looking for a maintainer/charger that will be connected all the time, if you want a separate maintainer you can't beat Battery Tenders. 

I have a Schumacher fr01234 charger/maintainer/jump start fully automatic with float mode. Will charge AGM, Acid, Gel, Deep Cycle batteries. Schumacher uses the same technology as industrial & marine chargers they only charge the amperage needed in steps before going into float mode/maintainer. I don't see it on the website but mine also has a deionizer mode that will allow it to charge a completely dead battery if the battery isn't chargeable usually less than 50% of full charge with the cheaper chargers.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/schumacher-2-12-30-100a-6-12v-fully-automatic-with-engine-start

similar to mine is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-10030A-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Maintainer/dp/B001MYWBF0

5 hours ago, Bob & Sue said:

All depends on if your looking for a maintainer/charger that will be connected all the time, if you want a separate maintainer you can't beat Battery Tenders. 

I have a Schumacher fr01234 charger/maintainer/jump start fully automatic with float mode. Will charge AGM, Acid, Gel, Deep Cycle batteries. Schumacher uses the same technology as industrial & marine chargers they only charge the amperage needed in steps before going into float mode/maintainer. I don't see it on the website but mine also has a deionizer mode that will allow it to charge a completely dead battery if the battery isn't chargeable usually less than 50% of full charge with the cheaper chargers.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/schumacher-2-12-30-100a-6-12v-fully-automatic-with-engine-start

similar to mine is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-10030A-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Maintainer/dp/B001MYWBF0

Funny I have the same charger as the second link.  I got it at place we have up here called Mill's Fleet Farm for less money surprisingly.  Works pretty good.  I do find if I've run the battery completely dead it will say it's fully charged when it isn't.  I will pull it off, hook it up again and reset it.  If it is still 95%+ it's done if not let it keep running.  But I have used it on motorcycles, boats, and auto pretty regularly without issue.  I bought a battery tender but haven't used it yet.  Plan to keep that on the Mustang all winter.  I would recommend this charger.

I use a CTEK on my boat over winter. Unfortunately I thought it was a maintenance free battery. Turns out it wasn't and the cells dried out killing it. Pays to keep the water up to them if using this type of charger.

3 hours ago, bigmal said:

I use a CTEK on my boat over winter. Unfortunately I thought it was a maintenance free battery. Turns out it wasn't and the cells dried out killing it. Pays to keep the water up to them if using this type of charger.

Good reason to go with a quality charger with float mode. Our boats AC Converter/Charger had heat sensors on all the batteries making it almost impossible to fry a cell it would either go into float mode or shut that bank off. I left it plugged into shore power for 5 years without any failures, very seldom added water maybe 2 oz per battery a year.

The Schumachers auto line have all that built in with their upper range charge they are a quality brand.

I don't like buying from Schumacher after match racing Don for years. That's the same Schumacher that has a field of 3-4 Top Fuel Dragsters & Funny Cars DSR.