Rsanter

Narrowed 8.8 rear end

This started as an 8.8 posi rear end out of an explorer.

this was narrowed for a friend of mine to go into an older car. He gave me the dimensions he needed for width and pinion offset.

steps.

axles, carrier and gears were removed and the housing was pressure washed.

fixture bushings were installed in the carrier location.

hydrolic shafting was used for an alignment bar.

9” axle ends from a torino were used so the rear end could be converted to use 9” axles and still retain the Explorer disc brakes.

18372BD9-600E-4D4D-AD16-BE053A6FD68A.jpeg

1E49194E-06A2-48D3-A19D-B0CF13164DAE.jpeg

A6EFD8E5-D67E-4676-8091-10062FD8C76D.jpeg

The wider he gave  me is just a little narrower than a 65-6 mustang and the pinion is basically centered.

yes the home grown version is to get a spare short axle and narrow the one side. That works if it happens to be the width you need .

i have a couple spare short side axles now so let me know if you need one.

i prefer to convert to the 9” axles. It allows me to make it whatever width I want it and eliminated the C clips.

i have done several of this type conversion for guys that drag race or road race. For the drag racers it is like a C clip eliminator kit but those kits say you cannot road race with it and recomend against driving on the street.

for the road racers I have seen the stock axles get mushroomed on the end as there is a little play with the C clip and under hard use it can pound out the end of the axle

This won't have a bunch of power.  As of right now I have a 4.6 out of a crown vic.  I've installed the mustang ii front end.  Got a few things left then will sit the motor in loose and work on steering and brakes. If those start to become to cobbled I'm gonna go with a 302 or 350.

I have a 8.8 from a Ranger pickup ,has a brand new posi but has somthing like 456 gears ,i will not be using it .I know the posie was the best that could be bought and has only a very few hours on it because the guy used it as a pre runner and is the crew chief for a race team in Vegas . 

There should only be a 1/4" difference between a late 90s Exploder and the 9" in a 1969/1970. The pinion  is offset to passenger side about 3". If you lower the car, it'll probably hit the transmission tunnel.

I know of a guy that pushed out the axle tubes and swapped sides to center the pinion. If not lowered, hopefully not an issue.

I'm planning on doing this. Where else can you get 3.73's, discs and posi for $150? From my homework. Hoping anyway. Yeah. posi needs rebuild, so that's another $100.. as will probably be brakes, but still way cheaper than finding stuff for the 9" :)

The only true way u can center the explorer pinion is cut 2' off the long side and add 2" to the short side. Even if u cut the long side down to use another short side axle it will still be out of center 1" to the driver's side. Some folks don't mind tho and cut the longside down or just use as is. I centered my 8.8 by cutting 7" off long side and 5" off short side then reversed them and welded back on. Of course had to have custom axles made. I thought of Rsanter Idea later and if I were to do it again is what I would do.

So i plan on putting in my explorer rear end in my 69 coupe without lowering it for the time being. I plan on going ahead and change my rear suspension before i put in my built motor. i know people who have  done if before the offset shouldn't be to bad right

It gives you rear disc brakes, a posi, and 373 gears.

if you just want the rear disc brakes all you have to do is take the rear disc set from an explorer or crown Vic and swap them onto the 8” or 9” you already have.

explorer for the big bearing

crown Vic for the small bearing

Don’t hate on me for reviving an older thread.  I can’t quite find what I’m after as I research swapping my worn, open 2.79 8” for a modern 8.8.

Why use the Explorer in the first place given the other options for 8.8?  Fox Mustang, Ranger, etc...

I see a built 8.8 from a 93 Fox for sale nearby for $650.  3.73, post of some sort, 5 lug swap, girdle, etc.  Comes with a spare set of 3.55 gears to boot.

Add leaf perches and I figure it’ll be a bolt in on a ‘69.  I’ll be buying a new driveshaft anyway.  Axles from Currie alone are about $400.  Plus gears and a locker and bearings/seals, etc. 

I don't know where the thought that reviving an old thread is a bad thing came from. We're all reviving old cars, so most of what we cover here is timeless. 

From reading 8.8 swap threads, I believe guys use the Explorer axle because they are plentiful and inexpensive as opposed to the Mustang and Ranger. I could and have been wrong. 

instead of changing out the rear, if all you need is disc brakes, use this for the spacers,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1973-Ford-Mustang-Rear-Disc-Brake-Adapting-Parts-9-8-kit-for-conversion/372501994535?hash=item56bad95c27:g:EhcAAOSw~bFWPGbZ

and get a set of Rear Rotors and brakes – 1998 Lincoln Town Car ( STD )

Just seems like a lot of work to save a couple bucks going Explorer vs. Mustang.

I'd like to swap out the 8" open 2.79 in my car right now and started pricing out upgraded axles and gears and a locker and came to serious money...cheaper to go with a Fox 8.8.

17 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

I have a 8.8 in my '68 and no need to narrow. I came out of a Ford Explorer with 3.73 gears, and disc brakes. Same width for the '69-'70

Vic -

Any issues with the offset differential?

Nate