moodster

seat belt buckles

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, moodster said:

The SD buckles look like 67 Mustang buckles.  I can tell you that the Wesco chrome aviator style buckles shown in the picture above RATTLE A LOT.  

david

As did my O.E. factory buckles.   If driving alone, the passenger one still in the console would RATTLE so bad I'd need to pull a bit of belt through it to add tension on the slider bar.   This typically would only last so long as the belt would again relax and it would start making noise again, which would then force me to pull it out of the holster and let it lay on the floor.

These new buckles are different inside and fit tighter on the console tabs so ... maybe they won't rattle at all.

Also got a chance to ream out the S-D retractor and inner belt mounting holes to 0.501" and they now slip over the factory shoulder bolts like they should.   Certainly a tighter tolerance than the larger holes in the factory belts (0.528"), but it works so good enough !!

Doug 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, stangs-R-me said:

Got a set of the Scott Drake 3-Point Belts for Christmas and messed around with them yesterday.   Very happy with the quality and fit considering it is a retrofit using the factory 3 mounting points.  

As previously mentioned, the factory seat belt shoulder bolts are a bit too big for the replacement seat belts.   OE bolts have a 0.496" o.d. shoulder and the SD inner belt & retractor have 0.495 & 0.484" holes so they will need to be reamed out to fit.   The swing arm that gets sandwiched between the retractor & inner rocker is OK as it has a .508" hole ... hopefully the 0.501" reamer I've got at work is good enough for opening up the inner belts & retractors.

One other thing, the plastic cover on the retractor is in the way of accessing the OE bolt with a typical T50 socket ... thankfully it pops off easy enough.

Doug     

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 1.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 2.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 3.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt set 4.JPG

Hard to tell from your last pic, but do you think the retractor mechanism will interfere with pushing the seat back all the way? Looking at using seat track extensions and not sure which three point system will work best with them. Appreciate the write-up.

24 minutes ago, SunnDogg said:

Hard to tell from your last pic, but do you think the retractor mechanism will interfere with pushing the seat back all the way? Looking at using seat track extensions and not sure which three point system will work best with them. Appreciate the write-up.

I'll check when I'm back home tomorrow and let you know.

Doug

On 1/3/2018 at 12:28 PM, SunnDogg said:

With seat fully to back there is no interference with retractor, even rotating retractor on bolt I can't get it to touch the seat hinge cover.   Note that retractor in use does not pivot as belt just goes straight up to the roof mount.   Also note that these are standard OE seat tracks and my car is a hardtop which supposedly has taller seat risers than a sportsroof does.   Actual space between the retractor and hinge cover is about a 1/2" (a finger's width), so there might be interference with the lower sportsroof seat platform.   And I'd say definite interference with the seat track extensions with either seat riser.

First two pics and last pic are with seat fully back, 3rd pic is with seat fully forward:

SD 3-PT Ret  & Seat Full Back 1.JPG

SD 3-PT Ret & Seat Full Back 2.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Full Fwd.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Full Back.JPG

On 1/5/2018 at 1:14 AM, stangs-R-me said:

With seat fully to back there is no interference with retractor, even rotating retractor on bolt I can't get it to touch the seat hinge cover.   Note that retractor in use does not pivot as belt just goes straight up to the roof mount.   Also note that these are standard OE seat tracks and my car is a hardtop which supposedly has taller seat risers than a sportsroof does.   Actual space between the retractor and hinge cover is about a 1/2" (a finger's width), so there might be interference with the lower sportsroof seat platform.   And I'd say definite interference with the seat track extensions with either seat riser.

SD 3-PT Ret  & Seat Full Back 1.JPG

SD 3-PT Ret & Seat Full Back 2.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Full Fwd.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Full Back.JPG

That’s weird . On my fastback the seats hit the retractors so I had to move them back a bit. Maybe the coupe seats don’t go back as far. 

8 hours ago, Shep69 said:

That’s weird . On my fastback the seats hit the retractors so I had to move them back a bit. Maybe the coupe seats don’t go back as far. 

Seats and seat tracks are same between all body styles, but I've read that shorter seat platforms were used in the Sportsroof due to the shorter roofline, so this would make a difference.   However, parts catalogs show same platforms/risers for 69-70 CP/FB.   If seat platforms were actually different, then carpeting would be different as well and again parts catalogs show same carpet for 69-70 CP/FB ... so this sure seems to remove this variation possibility.   

Only reference I can find about taller seat platforms is that ones for 65-68 CP/FB are 1~1.25" taller than 69-70.   Also, 67-68 Cougar had 1" shorter platforms than Mustang and these are now being reproduced and marketed to 65-68 Mustang owners who want 1" more headroom.

My hardtop has all original rust-free floors, so that is indeed odd that you needed to move your retractors back a bit ... possibly the retractor mounting point is different between CP/FB ??   

Just took a measurement on mine (making sure seat belt swing arm was at 90Deg to sill) and you can see that retractor mounting is about 4-7/8" forward of the rearmost sill plate mounting screw:      

Seat Belt Retractor Mtg Ref.JPG

14 hours ago, stangs-R-me said:

Seats and seat tracks are same between all body styles, but I've read that shorter seat platforms were used in the Sportsroof due to the shorter roofline, so this would make a difference.   However, parts catalogs show same platforms/risers for 69-70 CP/FB.   If seat platforms were actually different, then carpeting would be different as well and again parts catalogs show same carpet for 69-70 CP/FB ... so this sure seems to remove this variation possibility.   

Only reference I can find about taller seat platforms is that ones for 65-68 CP/FB are 1~1.25" taller than 69-70.   Also, 67-68 Cougar had 1" shorter platforms than Mustang and these are now being reproduced and marketed to 65-68 Mustang owners who want 1" more headroom.

My hardtop has all original rust-free floors, so that is indeed odd that you needed to move your retractors back a bit ... possibly the retractor mounting point is different between CP/FB ??   

Just took a measurement on mine (making sure seat belt swing arm was at 90Deg to sill) and you can see that retractor mounting is about 4-7/8" forward of the rearmost sill plate mounting screw:      

Seat Belt Retractor Mtg Ref.JPG

Doug,

I measured mine today . Its measures up the same as yours. My seats defenatly hit the retractors before i moved them. I also added the drop links. They fit straight on . Made it way more comfortable. 

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

On 12/29/2017 at 1:05 PM, stangs-R-me said:

Realized just now that me & Shep69 put all this info in a thread that started by the OP asking if the deluxe chrome buckle trim can be swapped onto std. black buckles.   Really should have started a new thread appropriately titled "Scott Drake 3-Point Seat Belt Kit", but oh well. 

One more tid bit ... the S-D 3-PT Seat Belt Set is made by Seatbelt Solutions in Jupiter, Florida ...

Well I might as well extend the hijacking- I noticed you have cranks on your rear windows (mine just leans out at the rear) and your top belt attachment point is behind the rear window, while mine is above where the two windows meet. This is different, what model are you driving? Mine is a 63C with 3AA trim.

5 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Well I might as well extend the hijacking- I noticed you have cranks on your rear windows (mine just leans out at the rear) and your top belt attachment point is behind the rear window, while mine is above where the two windows meet. This is different, what model are you driving? Mine is a 63C with 3AA trim.

Deluxe HARDTOP / COUPE with added Grande' rear quarter trim panels.    The other member posting pics in here ... Shep69 ... has a Mach 1 though. 

Doug

3 minutes ago, stangs-R-me said:

Deluxe HARDTOP / COUPE with added Grande' rear quarter trim panels.    The other member posting pics in here ... Shep69 ... has a Mach 1 though. 

Doug

Those are 69 Grande interior quarter panels on your car, right?

8 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Those are 69 Grande interior quarter panels on your car, right?

Yes ... grabbed them out of a Grande' in a bone yard back in the mid-80's ... they were near perfect considering where they came from.  

The padded vinyl, arm rests, and trim matching the door panels really finishes off the back seat area ... just blows away the std. black painted textured metal ones that came in all other Hardtops even Deluxe models like mine !!

Doug