69FORD

69 Mach 1 A/C evaporator drain location

Hi Fellow Mustang owners

I have a 69 Mach 1 that has Air Con.. It has started to leak condensate onto the mate under the air con side obviously.. Where is the A/C Evaporator Drain Plug / Hose located as I believe it may be clogged ?

Regards

John C

69FORD

Hi, this is how mine was located. The drain was cracked and leaked out the side onto the floor. As I was disassembling the unit to modify I drilled out the old drain and glassed in a new metal drain tube. I am not aware of a separate plug so possibly your drain is blocked.

IMG_1037.JPG

Hi Bigmal..

I looked under the glovebox   found that location and yes there is a hole but NO TUBE  to drain it anywhere ??? I gather any condensate from the evaporator just leaks through this hole onto the floor   great design   so am not too keen to pull out the whole assembly  so will silicone in a rubber hose and exit it through the firewall with grommets

Sadly looking up youtube blocked drains are any easy fix  but our cars do not have  a drain tube to ground to clear

Thanks for your assistance 

69FORD     John 

Thanks for the feedback

I found the hole under the carpet.. It seems a silly place for the drain hose at it looks like some passenger in the past may have kicked it and broken it

so with a bit of fiddling  silicone  etc  attached a new drain hose from the evaporator..

My car has factory Air Cpn but was not working correctly  so after i had it fixed the condensate issue arose  so now all good  for Queensland's hot weather  as most of my fellow stang mates  use open windows  

John

I've had 2 factory AC cars and the fiberglass nipple was broke off the bottom of both cases.   Hose was still there sticking out the floor with the fiberglass nipple still inside.   Yes a very poor design / location and not durable ... should have been some sort of guard there to avoid foot contact.   The fiberglass also weakens over time, so they could possibly break on their own just from years of driving.   When I fixed my case I added a brass tube insert in the nipple to add some support ... probably will not last, but fixed for now.   The original case from my car was all busted up and missing pieces back when I got the car in 1981 ... probably from a butcher job heater core replacement sometime between 1969 & 1981.   The case I currently have was in much better shape, but still needed other repairs / reinforcements besides the drain nipple when I restored it in 2011.   It had been in storage from a car that I had been parted out in the late 80's.

This case is finally being reproduced, so that is good news.

Doug  

Fixed E-Case 1.JPG

Fixed E-Case 2.JPG

Fixed E-Case 3.JPG