Cantedvalve

1970 Fastback

Still making progress.  Turned the engine over today with the starter, which means I had to finish up the starter cable circuit - one piece wasn’t installed, but it is now.  Did the jumper wire trick to trigger the solenoid, as I haven’t yet hooked up the neutral safety switch.  

Decided to ground the battery to the chassis in the trunk, but I need to run a ground wire from the chassis to the engine.  Also hooked up the power to the cars systems. Nothing caught fire, always a good sign.  Radio came on with the key.  Headlights work.  Dash lights kinda work.  I’ve replaced the bulbs with LED.  I didn’t expect the dimmer control to have much if any effect, but for some reason, there is only one spot in the dimmer circuit that will make the dash lights light up.  I’m thinking there is a problem with that 48+ year old switch.

No pictures yet.

@fvike Okay, I have a dash picture.  Stereo is working (although only the fronts are hooked up).  Dash lights are working even with the aforementioned issue (if you don't change the dimming, there is no problem).  Here is a pic of everything lit up.  Pardon the dirt... needs a bit of cleaning.IMG_0440.thumb.jpeg.83b665bba034c23567dc50e0aee43795.jpeg

Yes, the steering wheel is upside down.  This is because the center pad is upside down, and I wanted the picture to look the least goofy.  I'll fix it tomorrow.

ITS ALIVE!!  After fiddling with the distributor (way too retarded, had to advance it a lot), I got the engine running on its own and without catching fire (again).  I couldnt run it long because I didnt have a belt on the engine (got one too long, then too short, now I have one in between).  But it is definitely alive!  Only had one small hiccup... left the fitting on the rear fuel bowl loose for some reason.  It is fixed now.  That was the ONLY snafu in the whole ordeal... so I consider that success!  Tonight I plan to get the belt on there and time it.

I am gonna drive this thing before Christmas!

I had speakers picked out for the back.  I also had some enclosures for them. Well, they don’t fit behind the fold down seat. So instead of overthinking it, I just went and cut up my trap door (repop, don’t faint) to for my 6x9 speakers. Here is where I left off:

3C08742D-06E5-4C04-9B3C-35782399C44E.thumb.jpeg.8d35c92798dca86e60032748db327381.jpeg

the yellow tape was just for alignment. I didn’t overthink it, but I did take care in doing it.  I thought about making them angled, but my son said straight. So straight it is.

Okay, so I got them from www.seatbeltplanet.com - a veteran-owned outfit in Oklahoma.  Made in the USA.

For the fronts, I got the 3 point retractable seatbelts with black webbing and the chrome latches in 140 inches with the 12" short-side with the sleeve (I took the sleeve off, it was stapled on, same black webbing underneath).  I considered getting the black wrinkle finish, but I already have enough black on the interior... the chrome will help break it up.  Part number 302 on their website.

For the rears, I got the 2 point non-retractable seatbelts with black webbing and chrome latches in 60 inch length to match the fronts.  Part number is 102-V01.

From what I can tell, most of their belts are made to order.  The have different styles and colors available.  I ALMOST went with 4 point harnesses, but I really wanted retractables.  They even have a Y harness that might be adaptable to a Shelby style overhead retractor.  

So.... the rears are perfect.  The fronts are too long by about 18".  So I need to find someone local to shorten them, or send them back to be shortened.  The one guy I contacted locally (Fabini's for those who care) was a real ass about it.  He tried to tell me it is against federal law to touch the seatbelts in a car.  Started getting snotty with me.  I hung up.  I DONT recommend them for any kind of business.

2 hours ago, Cantedvalve said:

So.... the rears are perfect.  The fronts are too long by about 18".  So I need to find someone local to shorten them, or send them back to be shortened.  The one guy I contacted locally (Fabini's for those who care) was a real ass about it.  He tried to tell me it is against federal law to touch the seatbelts in a car.  Started getting snotty with me.  I hung up.  I DONT recommend them for any kind of business.

in all honesty I think there is a law about messing with certain safety equipment in the car. I heard this about pulling seat belts out of cars that have been in wrecks. Working with crash reconstruction troopers there's a way to tell if the fabric has been stretched that often times in major accidents, this is looked at to see if people were wearing their seatbelts. With that said, id hate to be messing around with a shotty sewing job on a seat belt.

So I managed to get the belts mounted. I took the plastic cover off the reel and that gave more room in the reel.  So I have them mounted as I want, but they don’t retract well. I think I’ve used up the spring in the reel to the point that it can’t do any more.  So either I really do need to shorten them, or put a couple more turns on the reels. Other than that, need to make up the mounting plates.