Sign in to follow this  
Cantedvalve

Removing Butyl Adhesive from A-trim

Removed the trim to paint it.  Its got sticky goo on it (the windshield adhesive).  I got most of it off just by picking at it, but it is still sticky.  How do I get the rest off?  Rubbing alcohol didn't do squat.  Im afraid to do much else with chemicals because I don't want to ruin the plastic.

Next safest thing I know of is grease and wax remover used to clean surfaces for automotive painting.  Some say it can still do minimal damage to the plastic.  I haven't had any issues with it on my plastic parts.  Maybe I have been lucky.

I think the butyl is petroleum based.

I use "3M adhesive remover", red and white can. I like the "paint thinner" style can but some parts stores only have spray cans. Really good stuff. Takes off all kinds of petro based stuff and then some. It's also mild enough to dab greasy fingerprints off beige velour headliners. Seriously. I've yet to find anything it stains or attacks that you don't want it to. A friend suspects it to be what dry cleaners use to get spots out of delicate clothes or at least closely related. I wouldn't be surprised. It doesn't work on everything but it's VERY handy to have around anyway. I've yet to see it affect paint in any way.

I used mineral turpentine. It won't affect the plastic moulding or automotive paint (other than enemal) if you use it on a rag.

You guys might call it white spirit. It also worked on the carpet where I tracked black spots throught the house. Women notice the littlest of things!

I went with paper towels and elbow grease.  I just wiped very firmly in one direction to "peel" as much off as I could.  It was easier on the headliner trim piece as it was metal.  I got it all... I think.  Either way the trim pieces look great after paint, so I'm good.  Now I just gotta get it off the glass (the excess).