stangman68

428 CJ Fuel Pump issue

Anyone had issues with a big block fuel pump before....Mine is seeping or leaking from the screws all around the top.  I'm assuming it is causing a vaccum leak of sometype.  I took it out and drove around 25, 30 miles or so with no issues, then all of a sudden it bogged or made some slight hesitations as i feathered the gas pedal.  Then just died. It did not start back up right away.  But after waiting about 5 minutes and trying again, it started up,and i drove home with no further issues......do these pumps typically leak, or should i remove it and address.  It had a new diaphrame kit installed at rebuild.

17 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

The fuel pump on my 428.  If yours looks like this one; check to see that the gasket/diaphram got put in after the rebuild and also check all the screws for tightness.  Brian

69 Fuel Pump 11.JPG

Brian, is that a filter on the suction side of your fuel pump? I have always heard that a filter should be on the pressure side of the pump. Especially a mechanical pump. Whatever works I guess.   Dave R.

rave R., you are correct.  The fuel filter should be on the pressure side of the pump.  There is a screen in the fuel tank to stop large degree from getting to the pump.  If there is no place foe a filter on the pressure side and he is using a Holley carb, Holley sells fuel filters to go inside the fuel inlets at the fuel bowls.

Not hearing back from the original poster I will assume he solved his leaking fuel pump problem ?  To address some of the questions posed about my fuel pump filter location.  Yes the fuel filters, recommended by Carter Fuel Pumps,  position should be between the pump and the carb.  I asked the Carter Tech and Carter also is aware of the ethanol issue.  I was not aware Holley was making a filter that would work for my 3310-1 carb.  I have the filter, nifty little set up, and will be correcting my fuel filter location.  Thanks for the help.  Brian

Carter Tech - Copy.jpg

Holley Fuel Filter 2.JPG