Chelby-Ann

Original AM Philco radio conversion

Since I am tired of dealing with the out of warranty issues of my custom autosound radio so I dug out my AM radio and was thinking of sending it to Richard Blankenship for a 4 channel, aux hookup with Bluetooth. Any thoughts? Thanks

The basics of the conversion use the FMR-2 module which seems to be an AM/FM/Stereo radio on a chip. Aurora Design Inc is very protective of their products and their vendors and this way keeps the price of these conversions, in my opinion, very pricey. As I recall it was close to $600 for the AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth and a USB connector. Seems to be a nice unit if you don't mind the price. My car came with an AM only radio that played via the single speaker in the center of the dash. If converted, I'd have to find a way to add speakers that would not show as I am going for that Original Factory Stock look. 

Another option is to put a Bluetooth only module into your radio.  I have done this for others in this forum, it is fairly easy. I know others also do it.   It requires an external toggle switch, and it then switches between having the AM radio play as normal, or having it be a Bluetooth receiver.  That way when on Bluetooth you can adjust the volume with the knob on the radio.  Depending on the radio, it can usually be done for under $100.   Maybe upgrade to a AM/FM from the mid 70's years?  They are certainly also a cheap upgrade that keeps the vintage look. 

From what I understand,  these FMR upgrades completely change the inside of the radio.  Adding Bluetooth only keeps the interior of the radio 99% the same.

My Am/8-track is at Barry's 8-Track Repair now for the same conversion. Its been there on the waiting list for almost a month and I expect several more months (at least) before it works its way to the top of the list. Barry suggested Electro-Tech for the rear speakers, and I got new door speakers from West Coast Classic Cougar. WCCC has two versions- get the higher 60w units. The problem here is to get speakers that are low profile enough not to get in the way of the window. The speaker frame will take a little trimming to fit properly into the hole already in the door.

Run two wires to each speaker and connect them as a fully isolated, non-grounded speaker system. If you do this and don't use a common ground, then each speaker will be capable of 50w RMS, or 100w Peak. That's a big improvement over the stock radio. You need to tell the conversion shop that you intend to do this up front so they supply the conversion with the proper plug. IIRC it is a 12 contact plug with 8 lines dedicated just to the 4 speakers. 

An output for a power antenna will be provided so when the radio is turned on it will motor-up the antenna. Also, there is a multi-color LED that tells you what mode the radio is in. I elected to have that mounted in the bezel to the left of the pushbuttons, where there was some available room. You will need to tell/show them where you want it mounted. I'm adding FM, Bluetooth, a USB reader, and an AUX input. It isn't an inexpensive conversion, but it will look stock, still play AM,and 8-track, FM, talk to my phone (via a mic added to the overhead), or accept input via a USB drive. 

Actually it does not totally change the radio. Its a small device

droppedImage_4.jpg

it takes just a little room in your radio and via all the connections (squares around the edge) it hooks to your existing radio controls and provides outputs that get added to the radio's case. The following may not represent the amount of available space in all radios, but it gives you an idea.

FMR-1%20Lincoln.jpg

It is just an opinion, but I would call that closer to a total interior change than not.  I agree it is a fantastic idea and novel approach.  But there are other choices.   It sounds like with that much of a wait, that a lot of others agree.

I wonder if it could be restored when AM radio makes the big comeback in 10 years?

Yes, I have heard of others with Gary's product.  He will do a good job, and it looks like he is not too busy now.  I would love to see how it sounds, maybe I can at a future car show.  It seems really creative. 

22 hours ago, Chelby-Ann said:

Thanks for the feedback. 3 quotes back. $375 to $450. All the same AM/FM/ AUX conversion. I thinks I'ma gonna go with Gary down in Florida.

http://www.garytayman.com/

Bill, let us know who you deal with & how it sounds when it is completed. Once I get my Coupe running I want to have a USB port added to my AM/FM radio so I can play all my music off a flash drive.

I decided to buy a Retrosound Malibu instead of going with the conversion. Why? $200 for the Retrosound vs $400 for the conversion. Retrosound received lots of great reviews so I went this rout. Sounds real nice and has the old 69 am look. Very nice. 

IMG_20171107_173128388.jpg

IMG_20171119_142916998.jpg