Cantedvalve

Son of a... holes in my headliner

So when I stored the car some 7 years ago, the original headliner was perfect.  Not so much anymore.  I've got multiple holes, some as small as a button, some larger than a silver dollar.  Not sure how any of them got there, but they are there.  Probably rodents.

So yeah... gonna be in the market for a headliner replacement.  My understanding is that you can't truly replace these things without taking out the front and rear glass. That's a non-starter.  Maybe the back, as I have a small leak I could fix, but the front isn't coming out.  I saw they make solid headliners.  Anyone have any experience with those?  Supposedly you don't need to take the glass out for them either.

Mustangs To Fear has nice one piece headliners for both fastbacks and coupes. They have matching sail panels and A pillar trims, and a video. They have the best reviews. If I recall correctly, you don't need to take the windows out.

The only down side is that they went to the trouble of putting a light panel in there, but no sunglasses holder. WTH?

Headliner does not go under the windshield on coupe, just under the back glass weatherstrip. I believe it is same for the fastback,. Headliner is glued to the roof under the metal header in front of the sunvisor. So, if you are going to remove and replace the weatherstrip for back glass to stop the leak, it is the perfect time to replace the headliner.

I found their website last night. They offer with and without the overhead console.  I think I'd go without. 

Looks like MTF and TMI are the only players in the market with these solutions, and are nearly 40% different in price.  I saw install videos for both, as well as a couple reviews.  Installation is very similar.  Both look like workable solutions.  My concern with TMI is past quality issues with this product (glue not holding, but they say they have it fixed).  My concern with MTF is the extra $200 in the price tag. 

9 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Headliner does not go under the windshield on coupe, just under the back glass weatherstrip. I believe it is same for the fastback,. Headliner is glued to the roof under the metal header in front of the sunvisor. So, if you are going to remove and replace the weatherstrip for back glass to stop the leak, it is the perfect time to replace the headliner.

There are several on here that beg to differ including me. Every one that I've seen folds around the upper front glass flange.

2 hours ago, RogerC said:

There are several on here that beg to differ including me. Every one that I've seen folds around the upper front glass flange.

Pictures below are from my unmolested 69 Grande. Had to remove the left front of the headliner to gain access to fix a small dent on the roof last weekend. My 70 Grande was the same, headliner ended under the trim and did not fold around the lip on the front. Think about it, if you fold the headliner over the lip and now you have to glue the windshield on top of the headliner, the rear is a different story, the gasket holds the glass. Why do we have the metal headliner trim on the front only? I would not wrap it over the lip on the front even though those several beg to differ. It is better to glue the glass to metal instead of putting glued vinyl in between.

DSCF6295 m.jpg

DSCF6296 m.jpg

My headliner wraps around the pinch weld on both the front windshield and back window.  I've heard it can be installed without removing the front and rear glass.  Some upholstery shops do it.  But, without removing the glass there is not much surface to glue the headliner to.

Yeah, when the time is right, I am going to go with the one piece.  I've got enough feedback from other sources that say that either one (TMI or MTF) will work well.  Now it comes down to finish and price.  Ive got time to figure it out.... I still have to finish up the current project.

So two things...

A) my headliner is not under the front glass.  It is a good inch away from that edge.  I believe my headliner to be original, so I have to say it looks like they did it both ways... maybe based on the factory

2) that $&#%$&# mouse is still in there.

On a 69-70 You would have to remove the backglass if you went back  original, with ours nothing  is removed. You are correct  about a lot of  warranty  problems with TMI. Their  problem  from the  beginning has always been  separating, ours will never  do that or ever stain.

Yeah I have seen that video.  I suffered through it.

I do wonder why MTF went with a sierra grain vs. something that closer matches the rest of the trim (Corinthian maybe)... would it be so we have to buy the trim too?  Hmmm?   :-)

We went with a  grain that matches the rest of the factory  interior.  This is  why you need to use convertible sun visors to match the  grain. Keep in mind a factory  headliner for  a coupe or fastback only matches their  sun visors. We wanted  our headliner  to match the rest of the vinyl  in the car