Sign in to follow this  
Shep69

Voltage Regulator

The Ford manual gives these parameters:

50 degrees, 14.1 to 15.1v

75 degrees, 13.9 to 14.9v

100 degrees, 13.7 to 14.7 v

125 degrees, 13.6 to 14.6v

I guess that last one is in Death Valley. Oh, I see you're from Australia- Death Valley is the lowest spot in the US and I think holds the heat record...where's yours?

53 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

The Ford manual gives these parameters:

50 degrees, 14.1 to 15.1v

75 degrees, 13.9 to 14.9v

100 degrees, 13.7 to 14.7 v

125 degrees, 13.6 to 14.6v

I guess that last one is in Death Valley. Oh, I see you're from Australia- Death Valley is the lowest spot in the US and I think holds the heat record...where's yours?

Not sure but Marble Bar in Western Australia gets pretty hot with average temps over 110 in summer. 

Thanks for the info Mach 1 driver.

110+ temps during the summer are common in California and Arizona.

At 14.8 charging voltage are your gauges reading correctly?  If okay, just watch the battery.  Some batteries, even though sealed, will start to seep acid through the vents or around the posts with high charging voltages.  Doesn't seem to damage the battery, just messy.

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

110+ temps during the summer are common in California and Arizona.

At 14.8 charging voltage are your gauges reading correctly?  If okay, just watch the battery.  Some batteries, even though sealed, will start to seep acid through the vents or around the posts with high charging voltages.  Doesn't seem to damage the battery, just messy.

I think that Battery’s start gassing off at 14.4v . Anything over 14.6 could be a concern. I’m going to try another voltage reg from my F-100 to see how that goes. My local mustang guy sells electronic voltage regs that cut off at 14.4v so that might be an option.

For a while I had a late model 3G alternator on my Mach 1.  Always charged at 14.6 to 14.8 volts.  I have an Optima battery so I didn't notice any gassing from the battery.  However, my temp, oil pressure, and fuel gauge always read a little on the high side.  I switched back to an original type alternator and external voltage regulator and the charging voltage dropped down to 13.8V.  The gauges all dropped down to where they would normally read.

I simply went to my local NAPA store for a voltage regulator when switching back to an original style alternator.  It's electronic as well.  Doesn't look original but seems to work fine.