Vicfreg

Front valence oil or trans cooler

Anyone have their oil and/or transmission cooler mounted anywhere besides directly in front of their radiator and A/C condenser?

Looking for some ideas, perhaps some that I can mount down below in the front valence

5 hours ago, rittenrotton said:

I have this a transmission cooler mounted behind my front lower valance..this is the one I have.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4960a

Did you use the supplied ziptie/straps or mount it another way?  Pics?  

Are either of you running a trans temp gauge?  If so where did you install the sensor?

I was going to install an aftermarket trans cooler until I was searching the topic and found where a guy asked why do you think you need an additional cooler in addition to the one in the radiator.

I added a trans fluid temp sender and gauge and found my trans temp ran real close to the radiator fluid temp, usually below it and never hit 200° even in the harshest of conditions. Just a little free real life info fyi.

RPM, your trans tamps are not bad at all.  But, most pick ups come with an auxiliary transmission cooler.  I always understood that adding an auxiliary trans cooler is one of the best ways to increase transmission life.  That and a shift improver kit of some kind to reduce clutch slippage during shifts.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be using a stand alone transmission cooler to cool my C-6.  I got my radiator intentionally without the integral transmission cooler, as I am running a ~400 cubic inch stroker, and it is going to run hot.  I also will be running a Vintage Air system.  So, for my transmission, I will be using a cooler that has an electric fan built into it, and I am trying to locate it away from the radiator and A/C condenser. 

I think this unit will fit down in the Valence area:

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coolers/transmission/remote-mount2013-10-28-09-53-271226240719/19-row-hyper-cool-dual-cool-remote-cooler-6an-detail

Another thing I learned throughout decades of Drag Racing...  If you have ANY kind of High Stall Torque Convertor, an auxiliary trans cooler is usually a MUST!!!

The reason is that High Stall torque convertors have specially designed Stators and Impellers that allow the trans fluid to literally "Slip" past the blades until a certain desired RPM...   That slippage creates Fluid Shear, which rapidly increases trans fluid temperatures to levels that will definitely reduce the life of your transmission over time....

We have run torque converters that would only stall at 4000 RPM behind an engine with over 1000 Lb/Ft of crankshaft torque @ 4000 RPM...   We also ran torque convertors with 6500 RPM stall behind an engine with only 550 Lb/Ft of crankshaft torque @ 5000 RPM...

Many people "Over-Cam" their engines beyond what is really needed for their particular intended usage.   The bigger cams with longer overlaps require higher stall convertors to negate the loss of bottom end torque...  This results in Increased trans fluid temperatures...   Everything is a trade-off in balancing what is "Needed" vs. what is merely "Wanted"...

Also on those trucks those added coolers are most often part of a "towing" or "heavy hauling" optional package. Pretty sure neither of which type usage applies to your average classic Mustang. 

No one will argue that a higher than stock stall torque converter doesn't need additional cooling though.