Chelby-Ann

Electric/Electronic E-Brake

I am in the middle of modifying my center console and had a thought. I have a manual emergency brake set up on the center console and thought about modifying it to an Electric/Electronic E-Brake. I know many newer cars/trucks have this. I thinks it would be a pretty kewl mod. Anyone try this? This would allow me to add 2 cup holders. Any thoughts?

Thoughts? I think you should design it, then I could steal your design :)

Seriously though, the aftermarket unit sure seems over priced for what's involved. I'd like one but haven't looked into gathering parts or design.

I was just reading on another forum about the E-Stopp. I just don't know how it would work in actuality. It seems like an on/off thing instead of a lever that has variable resistance.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:07 AM, JD08 said:

I was just reading on another forum about the E-Stopp. I just don't know how it would work in actuality. It seems like an on/off thing instead of a lever that has variable resistance.

Many of the linear actuators like I seen on the electric parking brake come with limit switches at both ends of the ram travel, I have used some that have positionable limit switches in the past.   With the limit switches you can use them to send a signal to the controller to shut the motor off, then the next time the button is pressed the controller will reverse direction until the ram contacts the "home" limit switch.  The ones with limit switches at each end of the travel are more popular.   They will have a fixed stroke such as 2 inches or 4 inches, etc..

To use these, you would have to make sure that the 2 or 4 inches of stroke are adequate to apply your parking brake.   That should be pretty simple, just make sure your cables are fairly snug with no slack and the actuator should be great for holding the car on a hill, etc.   However, they are very slow to extend and retract, so you should never attempt to use them as an emergency brake.

Here is an example of one from Surplus Center that may be usable.   a 2" stroke with a 110 Lb. Push / Pull rating.  It should be pretty simple to build a sturdy enclosure that you could mount under the car...

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/GlideForce/1-96-Stroke-110-lbs-12-Volt-DC-Linear-Actuator-With-Sensor-5-1577-2.axd