whoapony

69 sports mirror question

I have an early 69 sports roof that was missing mirrors when I got the car.  Before I knew there was a difference in the early and late 69 cars, I ended up getting a late 69/70 mirror with the 90 degree arm.  My question is will this work on an early 69 door panel or do you absolutely need the straight on cable setup?  I haven't tried it yet and was hoping someone has already or knows the answer, thanks!

The 90* joy stick vs the straight joy stick would be determined by which door panel you have. The door panel with the rectangle hole needs the straight one and the door panel with the round hole needs the 90* one.

I used a straight one on 70 with round hole on door panel without an issue. I don't think the 90 degree one will work with panel with rectangle hole as I think it will put a real tight bend on the cable due to how the joystick is mounted on the bezel.

Thanks guys!  Yeah I have the early 69 panels with the rectangle cut out, but unfortunately got an original restored late 69/70 mirror with the 90 degree bend. I just bought an early 69 mirror with the straight control knob that will work on my door panel.  I was hoping to be able to use the one I had, but guess its a lesson learned haha.

I always assumed the straight one with the large rectangular hole was with a deluxe interior ( and deluxe door panel) , and the 90 degree one was used on a standard interior door panel.   Was it a change instead of early vs late models? 

36 minutes ago, det0326 said:

My understanding Danno, was the earlier 69 had the round hole in the door panel and the late ones sometime in Feb 69 changed to the rectangle like the 70's. 

I believe you're correct (except rectangular is early and round is late) although I question the February 1969 changeover date (CJ's also lists that date). I believe it's more a '69 vs. '70 model year difference - with some late '69's getting the '70 mirrors.

My June '69 Dearborn vert with a standard interior has the straight knob and here's a picture of member LFugate's standard interior with the same straight knob:

95372d1270598050-1969-mustang-racing-mir

Here are some pictures from the Mustang Grabber Registry showing a '69 Deluxe (straight) and a '70 Deluxe and standard (both 90*)

69doorpanels.gif

70doorpanel.gif

70StdDoorPanel.gif

My Bad 

I have been known to get things backwards. 

A friend of mine was restoring a 69 the same time I was and we were installing driver side mirrors at the same time. He has an earlier 69, 68 build and mine is a june 69 build. He researched this and told me that the round one was earlier and rectangle was late 69 and 70's and I took him for his word without researching.  After doing a little research on this myself today I question the Feb change over too because if my door panels were original to the car and I think they were they had the rectangle hole long after Feb. 

My car has the rectangular one, built in April 69.  It originally had the drivers side only mirror that was remote. It was a chrome mirror, not the racing style mirrors. .  I wonder if that makes any difference that could be adding to the confusion?

I honestly can say I've ever seen a '69 with the later round control bezel.  

If the cut off was really Feb '69, that's a lot of '69 cars that would have had the '70 style and I think I would have run across one at some point between now and the early 80's when I became a '69 Mustang owner / fanatic.

Doug

9 hours ago, stangs-R-me said:

I honestly can say I've ever seen a '69 with the later round control bezel.  

If the cut off was really Feb '69, that's a lot of '69 cars that would have had the '70 style and I think I would have run across one at some point between now and the early 80's when I became a '69 Mustang owner / fanatic.

Doug

I agree, I don't believe the February date can be correct. There may be some late August '69 cars, just before the model year changeover, that got the round bezel but I don't believe it was many.